Addons with multiple steam users

Hi,

I ran into a problem some time ago with updating and maintaining addons for multiple users on the same machine. Especially when you have a lot of addons, you do not want to have all that data on your pc multiple times. I found out recently Windows had a nifty little feature called Junctions, which kinda are shortcuts, like the ones on your desktop, but to a folder. Here I will explain how to use junctions to have ONE addon folder work for all of your users. That means your model packs will only cost you harddisc space once. There is a drawback: You cannot configure the addons for different users in different ways, they will be the same for every user with these junctions.

1. First you need to make a folder where the addons go. You could put it in C:/addons or C:/Users/$username/addons or whereever, as long as you know where it is. I use C:/addons for ease of use.
  2. Next you put all of the addons you want in this folder (well duh), and delete the old addon folders. If you use SVN, you need to download the files to this folder again.
  3. Open up a command window (type ‘cmd’ in the searchbar on the start menu)
  4. Now type:

mklink /J "C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/$steamuser/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons" "C:/addons"

. Please note Case-sensitivity and folder names. For instance, if you installed steam in C:/steam, please use:

mklink /J "C:/Steam/steamapps/$steamuser/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons" "C:/addons"

. Also for 64-bit versions you might need to use Program Files (x86) instead of the regular one. Again, if you made a different folder for your addons do not use C:/addons, but the one you made.
5. Last but not least, rinse and repeat for every $username

Have fun!