Addons Workaround - The better one

As most of you have noticed, some workshop addons are not mounted onto your game. To work around this issue, we will turn each and every one of your addons into a Legacy Addon using gmad.exe that’s located in your GMod’s bin folder.

1. Create a new file called extract.bat inside your addons folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\addons).
  2. Open it with Notepad and place this inside of it:

@echo off
for %%a in (*.gma) do (
	echo "Extracting %%a"
	..\..\bin\gmad.exe extract -file "%%a"
	@cls
)

1. Save and launch the extract.bat, this might take a little while depending on your system and amount of addons.
  2. All your Workshop addons has been turned Legacy Addons and will be mounted each time you start your game. So you don’t have to this ever again.

Notes:

1. When the Workshop starts working fully again, you should remove these legacy addons.
  2. Some of your addons might not work in legacy mode, for example gamemodes, this can be resolved by moving the gamemode to your gamemodes folder.
  3. This will use more disk space & cause longer loading times. However, those of you with GMod installed on an SSD drive won’t notice any different loading times.

While this is a fairly good idea, as you mentioned, anyone without a SSD will have ludicrously slow load times. As in, probably up to 5-10 minutes if you have a decent number of addons.

I’ve only got ~10 legacy addons in my addons folder (All ones I made myself to screw around with) and I’ve got loading times on medium maps reaching 10 minutes. (That’s as of late anyway even with 3/4ths of my addons missing.)

The difference in Legacy vs Workshop is not that grave though. If you have to load for 10 minutes, you must have alot of addons, so you might want to look into that. I got my GMod installed on an SSD, loading into the game in about 2 seconds with 21 addons.

You forgot to mention that legacy addons won’t update by themselves, so your stuck with the version you currently have.