Allow Steam Emotes to be used in Game Chat

There is a massive library of emotes in the Steam chat that nobody really pays attention to. I’ve always thought it’d be cool if the Steam Team worked with Devs to allow these emotes to be used in a in-game text chat. Maybe you guys could reach out and be the first game to do so.

EDIT: THERE ARE NOW CALLED STEAMOTES (I talked to Gabe, we got soup)
unknown

Hey that’s actually cool idea! I’d finally would have some actual use of them then.

5 Likes

That’s an excellent idea. Gives more worth and exposure to steam chat emoji’s and players more options to express themselves in chat. A win-win scenario.

1 Like

I don’t know if they would maybe need permission from Valve to do this, but if they do they should really ask, because with S&Box being popular it could really make use of these emotes that no one uses, which would be good for Facepunch and Valve.

2 Likes

??

2 Likes

I kinda assumed they would need permission from Valve.
I also assumed it’d something Valve and them would have to work together on.

2 Likes

Interesting idea, would be neat to see it implemented.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t work like that. They’re emoji built into the fonts etc. Press windows key and . to see what’s available.

3 Likes

I know about those. Was just adding the idea of somehow getting Steamotes in the game. No worries if its not possible or not worth the time.

2 Likes

Maybe someone will be able to implement this kind of things in a custom chatbox.

2 Likes

Well I don’t know if that would be possible for an addon to do an Steam inventory check to see what emotes you own but we can hope.

2 Likes

I think emojis were included in the Januaray 2021 dev blog! I am not sure if these are steam emojis. It would be awesome if this was included!

2 Likes

The chatbox is basically a web page if I’ve read correctly.
It’d be trivial to replace “:smug:” with the image using steam’s public URL.

Letting the server know which emotes the user owns to authorize them would be neat, though. It’s already possible in GMod if your inventory is public but the inventory system goes down all the time.

Twitch does this kind of thing and it’s interesting.

2 Likes

I’ve already seen those. They’re just normal unicode emojis.

Steam Emotes have never been put into a game before, it was just an ‘pie in the sky’ suggestion from me.

4 Likes

I see. Then I wish to see them in the final game hopefully. It would be pretty cool! It would also be a insensitive for people (on valves side) to buy games and use the steam tokens to buy more emoticons I think.

2 Likes

I don’t use emojis too much, but it would look sweet to see them.

2 Likes