Alyx Entity Porting?

Hey everyone! I’m excited for s&box and I’m new to the forums, so I figured I’d just ask a simple question about it to get started out. This is aimed at the developers but if anyone else knows the answer/if this has already been answered feel free to respond as well.

• Will s&box natively have all of the Half-Life: Alyx entities attached to it? This includes things like the NPCs & items, but also some of the VR related Hammer entities, tools, shaders, etc. (shatterglass!!!) I know s&box will eventually get some sort of VR support so I think it’d be reasonable to, if not soon, include these within s&box.
1 Like

It will not have HL:A content on release, but it won’t take long for the community to port it anyways, not so sure about shaders but it will have the Source 2 shaders

3 Likes

They have the exact engine and source code alyx used, but a large amount will be changed/shuffled about. We will most likely get a bunch of the functional entities, but anything that relies on assets in hl:A are not likely to be included.

2 Likes

If it helps; s&box allows custom shaders, so you can always make your own. (We even have compute shaders!)

3 Likes

I figured if facepunch wouldn’t do it themselves the community eventually would, but it would be nice to have it natively built in much like how Garry’s Mod natively has HL2 entities & NPCs in it.

1 Like

It’s already been said that the game won’t come with any source engine game content, including HLA. It’ll be just the engine, nothing else. S&box aims to be it’s own thing and not “a sandbox set in the Valve universe”.

However tools, entities, and all those things that aren’t game specific (even the shatterglass probably, even if they’d have to change how the glass looks), will be in the game without a doubt. They’re part of the engine after all. It’s how the engine works.

3 Likes

Man, I’d really like to see some sort of porting tool nativity, but I know it won’t happen for alyx content… bummer but understandable because how big of a task, and how it excludes those who don’t have the game available.

2 Likes

I’m p sure porting Alyx content will be super easy since everything is essentially the same so

1 Like