An ungodly amount of crashing.

System Specifications:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT220 1GB
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
RAM: 6GB (6144MB)
Internet Speed: 20Mbps

Addons:
None except for Source models (TF2,CSS,HL2 and DoD:S) and rp_c18_v1

The problem.

Whenever I join an online server, it runs fine for about 30 mins - 1 hour, Sometimes less, and then my PC just goes. I get a horrible looping noise (if thats what you describe it as. Its like a “nnnnununununununnnn” sound) and my monitor goes onto standby. I then have to do a hard reset to be able to use my PC again. This happens on more than one server. More commonly on those running DarkRP. I don’t know what the problem is.

I’ve tried:

[ul]
[li]Defragmenting/Validating my cache files.[/li][li]Doing full reinstalls[/li][li]Doing cleanups (deleting game folder then turning Gmod on again)[/li][/ul]
But nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? Because it’s really starting to piss me off.

Mikey

Try updating your video card driver, or if you have an unstable driver, try reinstalling it, also, some monitors have drivers. I used to have a faulty driver and mine would do the same, try reinstalling whatever nVidia driver you have and tell me how it goes.

Upgraded the driver. Crashed within about 35 mins.

Sounds like your GPU is over heating. Check your temperatures.

The “nununununununu” sound… is it coming from inside your computer’s case, or from your speakers? If from inside of the case, is it a buzzing sound? Could be you have a fan going out. And if said fan is on your GPU, CPU, or power supply, things could be overheating badly. Post some more details. Also, in the meantime, might be smart to make sure the computer is off at all times unless you’re using it or trying to figure out the problem, as if any of the above 3 is overheating, they can potentially perma-fry and kill your setup.

The noise is from my speakers, it’s not a hardware problem that I know of. Maybe its just Gmod is too unstable for my pwnage set up.

Rename your garry’s mod folder to garrysmodold, that will wipe all the custom crap youve got on there and go in again, go to options > multiplayer and select “Don’t download any custom files”, then join a server (with preferably less addons, so you don’t see as much errors), see if that fixes the problem.

If so, it was from an addon. If not, delete your new garry’s mod folder and rename the old one from garrysmodold to garrysmod to get your addons and shit back. And you will then also be back to square one.

You mean your “pwnage set up” that won’t even run a game that P4’s can run? xD

Haha, it runs everything else perfectly: CSS, HL2 & E1+E2, DoD:S, even some of the high spec non-valve games like ArmA 2. I can run that without going below 25fps on the highest settings. I’m just not sure of the problem.

I have tried that. Still crashes.

Might be the server that your going on.

I’ve tried various servers. Also, no-one else crashes on that server.

Hmmm… felt like a go on Episode 2, and it also crashed in about the same time… This is a long shot but could it be because of the fact I run in windows and not full screen?

Mine is doing the exact same thing. How do I check temperatures without opening the case.

Windows XP SP3
Athlon 6500 CPU
Radeon 9800 PRO
2 GB RAM
500W PSU

My PC is just fine, but sometimes after a while I can’t connect to a server without getting either an overflow message or a crash.