Anti-cheat solution?

I have not seen any threads specifically about anti-cheat. Does anyone know if they plan to use VAC or if they are planning to implement it more than it was in Garry’s Mod? You would have thought that VAC was outright disabled in Garry’s Mod and I hope the Facepunch team can provide a better solution for S&box. Will we see more third party anti-cheats?

VR Anti-cheat

I’ve always envisioned playing DarkRP in VR and am expecting this will be possible with S&box in the coming years. But I know that people will abuse VR and clip their camera through walls, or develop other exploits. Are there any good VR anti-cheat solutions currently available? I think certain gamemodes will need different anti-cheat solutions due to the nature of VR and S&box, so I suspect this may be a community responsibility.

Just trying to get some discussion flowing on this topic.

2 Likes

How would an anti-cheat even work?

2 Likes

there is even no anti cheat in gmod so there is no way facepunch would make anti cheat for sandbox game

1 Like

Back in the UE4 days Layla said that cheating was a valid use of the game, and that anti-cheat would fall on the server owners. I would assume this is still the case, since not every gamemode needs anti-cheat.

4 Likes

This is what I figured. I am more trying to brainstorm possible methods for a server owner to implement VR anti-cheat features, and what those would look like in practice.

2 Likes

Every gamemode will have it’s own definition of cheating - that’s why s&box itself can’t have an anticheat.
I don’t even know what you mean by “VR anti-cheat” - it is simply a responsibility of the gamemode developer - for example why would you have an anticheat in a coop game? Not every gamemode is going to be PvP.

5 Likes

This has been discussed already:

tl;dr: no.

6 Likes

Anticheat in s&box would be like gmod. Only admins could decide to implement or not a custom anticheeat to their own servers.

3 Likes

As people have said above anti-cheat will largely fall on server owners. Developing something like this is something I’m interested in and have already prototyped a few things but without access it’s hard to test. By the fact that garry has already given access to the owner of the gmodstore i assume that there will also be something like an sbox store and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a number of solutions put up for sale there.

2 Likes

sv_cheats 0

:black_heart:

3 Likes

Just move the Player Out of the Wall?
If the Player is looking through a Wall move the whole Player Back and make him Motionthickness, so He stops doing it :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This isn’t even about anticheat, like D4KiR said, you should just make your addon/gamemode properly not allow you to go through walls in vr?

1 Like

Let’s wait for it to be a problem before we try to solve it

17 Likes

If there is an AC solution being made / that gets made for s&box, we should probably worry about the very base game first and then move on to more complex problems like VR exploits.

1 Like

Currently they are in the bug hunting and functional testing phase while still implementing core features. No need for an anti cheat in that time :smiley: (Anyways not bad being aware of that upcoming “problem”).

1 Like

easy?

1 Like

like in rust?)

1 Like

a anticheat implemented by facepunch for a game based arround modding would make no sense. It’s going to be up to server owners

5 Likes

sv_cheats 1 :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like