Aperture Studies - Hot Loading Centered Game Dev Tutorial Series inside S&box

Summary
Using Portal 2 assets and S&box C# hot loading, the idea is to create dozens of Test Chambers each with the intent of teaching C#, Sandbox libraries, physics and math for game development, and general game development principles. Test subjects will modify the source files provided to complete teaching objectives and engaging puzzles.

Already Mapped

Test Chamber 1 - Software Basics I

Room 1: Hello World-esq Tutorial

Room 2: Variables, methods, and data structures.

Room 3: Control flow

Developing Teaching Materials and Level Design Sketches

Test Chamber 2 - Software Basics II

Room 1: Types, continued.

Room 2: Classes

Room 3: Data structures continued.

Test Chamber 3 - Debugging I

Room 1: Debugging to read indeterminate values

Room 2: Runtime bug fixing.

Test Chamber 4 - Basics III (2d Based)

Docs: Namespaces, access modifiers, intro to syntax

Test Chamber 5 - Basics IV

Test Chamber 10 - Basics Mastery Challenge

Room 1: Robot.

Plans

• Identify introductory game dev teaching objectives, prepare learning materials for intro test chamber sessions. Create intro test chambers in hammer.

Planned Topics:

• C#

• Data Structures

• Vector Math

• Game Physics

Media

Proof of Concept (Half-Life: Alyx)

UI Project

53 Likes

The potential use for Sandbox as a educational tool is massive. Especially for more advanced levels and deeper topics which MC education and scratch don’t teach. It’s awesome to see someone already developing some educational content for the game cant wait to see this in game and hopefully in schools, keep up the good work.

15 Likes

Cool an unique idea! Could help a lot of people if you do this right

2 Likes

That’d be very nice to have for the newbies in C# that move from Gmod’s Lua and just new developers in general!

1 Like

Where’s the semicolon?

4 Likes

Looks like a really neat way of learning for people who don’t have much experience yet, I hope you make this at some point :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice thought, in the future we at Eagle one dev, might be able to share some assets, due to a upcoming project of us :shushing_face::wink:

2 Likes

Definitely good topics to cover for newcomers. Learning vector mathematics was not the easiest part of my career but by a large margin one of the most useful things someone can know for any application.

2 Likes

As someone who is new to C# this would be really helpful! I’m super excited to see this!

3 Likes

That video is a proof a concept, once I get access to S&box I can create real videos in-engine. But there is still a lot of work to be done mapping and writing wise so I don’t really need to S&box access right now.

3 Likes

Got some UI work done today:

7 Likes

Looking good man

2 Likes

Give this man a key

7 Likes

This is awesome. I would never think of teaching S&Box development this way. This is great!

I hope you not only get a key, but maybe an entire job based on this. I’m serious, would be great to have more similar content to promote S&Box development/usage. Interactive learning rocks IMO

Just to give some context on why I’m so excited about this: I work as a Salesforce Developer and I think one of best stuff about Salesforce Development is their learning platform called Trailhead.
It is totally free, full of content, provides infinite fully-working developer edition environment (playgrounds so to speak) for whatever reason you’d like + to be often used to validate your attempts for some of their learning modules.

Something close to that (your idea actually) would be huge benefit in my opinion

3 Likes

Updated a bunch of the prompts. improved readibility and styling. Went with a more readible font set. Everything regarding the UI is accessible via the link in OP.

8 Likes

This is super cool! I’m sure this will be a great resource for the community. Best of luck with it!

3 Likes

Spent the day porting the elevator. It was a pain but a fun learning experience!

6 Likes

Test Chambers one and two are done (with elevators)!

Test Chamber one is a hello world console logging tutorial.

Test chamber two has three puzzles:

1) Setting the weight of a box via a variable to cause a rope to break and the box to drop on a button (Variable basics)

2) Calling a function to execute a laser beam to cut a pillar in half (Function basics)

3) Moving platforms up/down to get to a button via adjusting the integers inside an array (primitives and data structures).

8 Likes

Reworked styles, made sure they will transition into S&box nicely.

7 Likes

Cool idea. It’s like a coding game which is a great method of learning.

Would love to use it one day to see how far I could go without getting stuck.

2 Likes