[Arch Linux] MP3s refuse to play, even with MP3 codecs installed and sounds installed properly

Hey there!

A friend and I have been having some issues regarding playing MP3 files in Garry’s Mod. Every attempt at playing an MP3 file, whether it’s located directly in /garrysmod/sound/, in a legacy addon, or in a workshop addon, results in the following console output:



Create Stream Failed error 44
Failed to load sound "test.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository


The above output was from an attempt to play a sound with the ULX “playsound” command, which does tests to make sure the file exists before attempting to play it. So, yes, test.mp3 did exist in that situation and was in the proper directory, /sound/.

The few sources of information that weren’t telling us that “you need mp3 codecs lol” and “well duh the file dosnt exist” led us to the package gstreamer0.10-plugins, however installing and rebooting did nothing for our situation. So, I’m not sure what to do—whether I need to install a codec that I’ve been missing the whole time, or Garry’s Mod needs to be patched or something. But I doubt it’s the latter—pretty sure it’d work fine on something like Ubuntu, which has a lot of packages thrown into it fromt he get-go.

If anyone has any information as to how to get MP3s working in Garry’s Mod under Arch Linux, I’d appreciate the help! Thanks!

I know this seems weird are the file names exactly the same? Like is it test.mp3 not Test.mp3. Because I just had a similar issue but with my website

Yes. I’ve verified the file name, etc, making sure to use no capital letters because I know Garry’s Mod used to hate them.

try this…?[DEL] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/lame/[/DEL] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/lame/

No dice, I’m afraid—already installed lame in troubleshooting.
It’s odd. Everything I’ve been told would help applications work with MP3s (gstreamer plugins, LAME, etc) seem to only consume disk space without result.
I’d question why it works in VLC, but that’s VLC, the player to end all players. Soo…

If it’s not the correct bit rate etc it won’t play.
Test it by putting it on your client windows PC and using ulx to play the sound.

It’s not a problem with that one file, is the issue. No MP3 sounds play, even ones confirmed working on Windows (TTT round cue, M9K weapon reload sounds, etc). I’d guess it’s a missing dependency, but again, I’ve had little luck finding anything useful.

So, a little (though useless) status update.

Installing a 32-bit version of LAME does nothing. Still having issues playing MP3 sounds, and (though I didn’t mention it in the OP) I’m also having the issue where fonts render incorrectly.

I’m guessing Garry’s Mod is more optimized towards Debian/Ubuntu-based distributions, which is unfortunate. I could be wrong, though, and I’m sorry if I am.

Make sure you install the 32 bit version of LAME as well as the 64 bit version.
Your OS will try to use the 64 bit one for most things but Garry’s Mod is a 32 bit application and so it needs the 32 bit libraries.

Ballads was right before he corrected his post: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/lame/

AFAIK, lib32-lame should be the 32-bit LAME libraries (though it is from the AUR, so unofficial). No dice with that package, even after reboots.

quick edit: I checked out what lame and lib32-lame install, if it’s of any use to anyone. Snipped off irrelevant parts like manpages and docs, but those were only from lame, not lib32-lame.



# bw81 @ LUNA-Core in ~ [11:07:54] C:1
$ pacaur -Ql lib32-lame
lib32-lame /usr/
lib32-lame /usr/lib32/
lib32-lame /usr/lib32/libmp3lame.so
lib32-lame /usr/lib32/libmp3lame.so.0
lib32-lame /usr/lib32/libmp3lame.so.0.0.0

# bw81 @ LUNA-Core in ~ [11:07:59] 
$ pacaur -Ql lame      
lame /usr/
lame /usr/bin/
lame /usr/bin/lame
lame /usr/include/
lame /usr/include/lame/
lame /usr/include/lame/lame.h
lame /usr/lib/
lame /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so
lame /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0
lame /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0.0.0


Well, I installed a few other packages, and one of these seems to have fixed it. I don’t know which, so if someone wants to do the detective work, you’re welcome to do so, but I’m just happy it works. Here is the list of packages I installed.


lib32-gst-plugins-good
lib32-gst-plugins-base
lib32-gst-plugins-ugly
gst-plugins-good
gst-plugins-base
gst-plugins-bad
gst-plugins-ugly