Are there are already some guys who plan to make tutorials for creation of mods?

I mean, some of us are not so proficient as you guys are. Would be cool to see some basic explanations how coding of sweps etc. works. Same goes to models, personally, i have a blurry understanding of how export to s&box will work. Will be cool to keep in mind that there are some lads who are going to help people like me on the start of the game.

5 Likes

If you want to do some modelling, mapping and such you’ll need to get Half Life Alyx, or obtain the modding tools in some way, there are already some tutorials on that but not many on making weapons and scripts, since s&box isn’t out yet.

1 Like

Yes, i know. I am just curious whether someone is planning to make some videos. We have hundreds of different videos about Glua, model porting to gmod. Would be cool to have the same amount of teaching lessons, so i am asking if someone will do that just to be sure that beginners in s&box will be able to at least get to know how basic stuff works.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. There’s loads of people who want/plan to write tutorials. A month or so within release I would expect there to be tutorials for at least most of the basics.

2 Likes

There’ll be plenty I’m sure of it, if not written by Facepunch themselves then by people with early access.

1 Like

The forums will also play a big part in helping you get started, who knows perhaps with some knowledge you could be one of the first to create a tutorial for the community!

2 Likes

I personally would not recommend anyone starting a tutorial series before the game is fully released.

Even though there will be developers with early access, the beta stage of the game means that the API can (and probably will) change significantly, your tutorials can be awesome but can confuse people from the future who are trying to follow your code but it just doesn’t compile because the API is different.

I hope that during the prerelease stage developers will not only find and report bugs but also suggest better ways to organize the API, add/remove functions, basically try to help FP set a solid and extensible API. After the release all changes to the API will probably be made in a backward-compatible manner, that’s the point in time when it makes sense to start making tutorials for public, IMO.

1 Like