attempt to index global 'ply' (Star Wars Light saber error)

[ERROR] addons/star wars lightsabers/lua/weapons/weapon_lightsaber.lua:646: attempt to index global ‘ply’ (a nil value)

  1. unknown - addons/star wars lightsabers/lua/weapons/weapon_lightsaber.lua:646

Please note that I do know this is a table, I just wanted to see if it would work, but regarldess it would still give me the same error. I’ve tried ply:Team, and almost any other solution I could think of.


local dmgtrain = DamageInfo()
local training = {
	[TEAM_SITH] = true,
}

if training[ply:Team()] then
dmgtrain:SetDamages( 1 )
end

Can you post some more context?

[editline]7th December 2016[/editline]

Maybe the whole function?

Are you defining ply anywhere? Can you post the function? If there a function?

There’s no function, and that is pretty much the code that’s causing the issue. Basically, what I’m trying to do is detect what a players team/ darkRP jobs is in order to make the lightsaber inflict that ammount of damage.

You have to define ply or give it a value somewhere.

Doubt it, should be server side.

Your error very clearly says that ‘ply’ is nil. ‘SetDamage’ is part of the ‘CTakeDamageInfo’ class. As a result, you should use something that returns the ply and CTakeDamageInfo class, such as

GM:ScalePlayerDamage

That wouldn’t make much since though because i’m using the same type of local that was used in another part of the lightsaber script. But I tried anyways, and still didn’t get it to work. Anymore solutions would be awesome, thank you

Why don’t you add me on Steam, my link is below my avatar, perhaps I can help you better that way