August 2021 - News - s&box

Imagine you're shooting a gun in game. The client runs the prediction shoot code, which calls a "ShootEffects" function, which plays the sound and draws the muzzle flash. Then the server runs the actual code which calls 'ShootEffects' too, which is an RPC, so it sends a network message to the client to call the function.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://sbox.facepunch.com/news/aug2021
7 Likes

So much progress! Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Looks like #vr was well fed! Excellent work by everyone in the team, I’m looking forward to bearded Terry’s!

1 Like

Nice to see VR finally get some love in S&box.

1 Like

It’s good, it’s taking shape but it still has work to do, congratulations to you! :+1:

1 Like

Why are ent_door and ent_platform separate entities?
Couldn’t you achieve everything an ent_platform could do with an ent_door if coded right?
The naming of it is also weird, in Source you want to be using a func_door instead of a func_movelinear for moving platforms, as func_door has more workarounds for multiple people standing on it. func_movelinear being a more buggy door. This isn’t source 1 though so I don’t know what I’m saying.

Otherwise great blog post!

1 Like

Awesome as always. Thank you, guys!!

1 Like

Good work! :hot_face:

1 Like

nice

1 Like

Nice stuff! Sam is king for adding that 4way blend!

Kinda concerned about the reimagining base entities tho… I make maps for s&box in HL:A, and im useing alot of thise entities… hopefully everything will work =/ (if it aint broken dont fix it)

1 Like

please add C API so i can use a fast and sane language

C# bloated is JIT trash with cold start and jitters due to JIT recompiling methods on the fly during gameplay

will GMOD2 require an insane CPU again (yeah GMOD1 required insane CPU at its time due to poor language used and bad programming)

1 Like

4-way blend is an incredible addition to the engine; world UI interaction is also incredibly important to my gamemode. Spectacular devblog this month, guys — kudos to the Facepunch team.

Lovely progress. :star_struck:

1 Like

Glad to see VR is always in constant works.

1 Like

Great work :clap:

1 Like

So cool, I got in this month too!

1 Like

Performance of tag system seems concerning, does it use bitfields underneath?

1 Like

when the 3d menu

1 Like

What do you mean, why would it perform badly?

2 Likes