August 2021 - News - s&box

Great stuff as always :smiley:

1 Like

First, it’s not Garry’s Mod 2. Second, I doubt that C++ is such a bad programming language and considering the decent performance of Garry’s Mod (if you disregard the addons) and the near omnipresence of this language in most of today’s applications, I don’t think that at the time graphics cards were as powerful (or even more powerful) than processors.

2 Likes

lua was the reason of shitty perf in GMOD1

c# will be reason of shitty perf in GMOD2 aka S&BOX

history is repeating itself

i’m not gonna buy it personally, i don’t want to encourage people using shitty tech

1 Like

since when is c# a slow language?

1 Like

Will you be able to put models or even “meshes” (e.g. roads) along a path in the future?

I think putting and aligning models (or really any entity) along a path shouldn’t be too complicated. Though custom mesh geometry (made in the new hammer) might not be as easy. But it would certainly make this new editor even more amazing.

The helpers are also awesome. I can’t wait to see even more improvements and additions in the future!

1 Like

Good work!

1 Like

Ok, no one is making you buy it, man, C# is plenty fast enough in most instances. Unity uses it? Also, since when was JIT a bad thing for performance. Garbage Collecting? Sure that’s fine, but that is what best practices are for. C++ and C both offer security concerns, besides if you care that much about speed maybe s&box is not for you in the first place. Try a custom engine that might suit your wants and needs better.

1 Like

I can’t wait to get my hands on this. Haven’t done any real game development yet, aside from customizing existing mods for gmod. But I‘m a 15+ years .Net developer so I see this being the perfect opportunity to test the waters.

And the VR support… :drooling_face:

1 Like

It works fine for Unity devs though? Unreal supports C++ so maybe that would be a beter choice for you.

I cannot help but feel that to me, entity tags leans more up against dynamic typing design rather than static typing. Although I am unsure how widely it will be used in codebases.

1 Like

Haha, that’s a good one. You’re making way too many shortcuts to just conclude that Lua and C# offer poor performance, that’s a shame. Moreover, your misunderstanding of S&Box architecture (“A.K.A Gmod2”) compared to Gmod, proves to me that you don’t know anything about it except the same sentence “iT’s tO sLOw”.

4 Likes

I think it will be good if it’s just comparing addresses in the string pool. What I’m worried about is O(N^2) per-character string comparisons per frame.

1 Like

If you are referring to iterating over a list, should that not take O(n) time? Assuming entity tags are implemented as a list.

2 Likes

they are implemented as a hash set, you don’t have to worry about that

3 Likes

i ansious for play the game but i dont know if my pc can run it

1 Like

I hope that rigid body physics is more threaded (or some perf workaround) on S&BOX than gmod (or something is fixed with the physics calculation heap). It would be awesome to just keep chucking boxes around until my cpu hits 99% and then the fps starts to tank. Moving to S&BOX from gmod will be worth it if it actually scales better on modern hardware!

1 Like

Nice stuff! Keep it up

1 Like

In c++ they’re stored as string tokens, which are ints. In c# they’re stored as strings in a hashset, which is pretty much just comparing ints too. So really no performance issues there.

Either way it’s invisible to the end user so we can improve performance any way we want once we start hitting problems.

3 Likes

Is there any chance that the World UI in VR could support not just the “laser-pointer” approach to UI interaction but also a more tactile “physical” button push with your fingers/hand?

Having to aim my controller at a small target to click a button is one of my least favorite things to do in VR, whereas just pushing a button (even if it’s just a window floating in the air) feels a lot more natural to me, especially with good haptic feedback.

It would be great if this was baked in to the default UI, though I understand that it’s definitely not a simple addition.

1 Like

I’m confused. s&box runs perfectly on any hardware that can run Garry’s mod as far as I have tested. Also, C# is WAYYYY better than lua just saying.

1 Like

looks fun… especially for something like VR tbh this is the first time i have heard of S&Box so i hope i get to mess with it some day and do even crazier things in here than i did in Gmod.

1 Like