So I was messing around with the idea of a battle bots like game mode I have tentitively called Automata.
The basic premise is you build some remotely controlled ‘bot’ and drive it into battle against other bots. Forms of propulsion would be restricted similiar to how the life support / resource distribution systems work so that you don’t have super huge unrealistic bots. The idea is to encourage smart, efficient bots that can go into the battle area and battle for a while then return to the build area to refuel, etc. My thoughts for tracking ‘kills’ would be to have an entity that MUST be contrained to your bot that when it becomes unconstrained, i.e. your bot is destroyed, it counts as a kill.
I am just curious if anyone has any comments about my ideas or if they see it as a stupid waste of time.
I’m not imagining any sort of art assets will be required (which is good as I am no artist) and the mapping would be really basic. Here’s my test map:
Basic idea is you have 4 build zones (4 teams) and you build the bot and drive it into battle area, the rest is self explanitory.
I want to/have done some coding to prevent certain situations:
- Players are not allowed to leave the ‘build’ areas. This means that the bots must be remotely controllable and have some sort of camera system to allow remote piloting. In my test map I have brush entities that trigger based on touch of a player to prevent them from leaving these zones, might be a better way to do it.
- Restrict the control entity to one per person, such that a player, a) can only have one bot, and b) if a player’s bot is rendered useless for some reason, they must clean it up (counting as a kill)
- A refueling type resource entity so that refueling your bot is very fast and easy, basically a simple entity that pumps out tons of every kind of resource. This entity of course must be restricted such that it can’t be spawned or moved outside the build area.
- New combat entities probably based on gcombat or cds, possibly even using their default entities
- New propulsion entities that consume resources of various types, i.e. Energy wheels. Normal wheel, thruster etc entities are not allowed (including wire ones, the new ones would support wire)
- New physical damage weapons, saw blades that actually do real damage, hammer/spike like objects, maybe mines
- Varied terrain maps might be fun, like smaller, almost maze like ones that are more about manuverability and driving skill vs ultimate super battle tank.