banned props, still usable.

im trying to ban props for my prop hunt server. im new to LUA but i know enough to figure things out, or so i thought.

here is the banned prop list after ive nuked it and remade it, the hula doll is still usable in ph_octagon and im not sure why. can someone with a little more knowledge than myself tell me how stupid im being?

// Props will not be able to become these models
BANNED_PROP_MODELS = {
“models/props/cs_assault/dollar.mdl”,
“models/props/cs_assault/money.mdl”,
“models/props/cs_office/snowman_arm.mdl”,
“models/props/ph_octagon/huladoll.mdl”
}

there are no errors in console, but its still allowed to be used. the other bans work fine but the hula doll just refuses to cooperate.

My guess is that the file path is wrong, check it abad make sure its exactly correct (including capital/non-capital letters

as a test to make sure im not being dumb, i went into the spawn list and found the huladoll.mdl
the spelling 100% matches exactly how the spawn list shows it. i then went and for the hell of it added two more props to the ban list so it now looks like this.

// Props will not be able to become these models
BANNED_PROP_MODELS = {
“models/props/ph_octagon/huladoll.mdl”,
“models/props/cs_office/projector_remote.mdl”,
“models/props/cs_office/computer_mouse.mdl”
}

saved the changed, uploaded back to server through ftp.
went into cs_office, both mouse and the remote are confirmed as banned.
went back to ph_octagon, tried to pick up hula doll, is still usable.

for the sake of trying everything i can think of i put an underscore in the name so it says hula_doll.mdl
this did not make any difference i can still become the hula doll.

has anyone else banned this item and can tell me if theyve run into the same problem?
if you have it banned can you send me the line in the sh_config that you have for the ban so i can check it against mine?
alternatively does anyone know if where the map name goes if i put “everyone,allmaps, any” and it will ban for every map on the server?

Why not go into the file path and look for the model? You can identify what’s wrong from there

because i can not find it ANYWHERE in that file path. the only props subfolder in the models folder is “props_foliage”,“props_phx”, and “props_phx2”

otherwise i would not be coming to ask for help. and why would the others work if there wasnt that folder? im assuming that its pulling from the spawn list.

its probably good point to note this is a server not using SRCDS from my own system.

It’s not pulling from the spawn list, it’s pulling from the file path on the server. Is the hula doll an add-on model? The Half life 2 one is at

models/props_lab/huladoll.mdl

i do not have prop_lab in models either, unless im in the wrong directory to begin with.

/garrysmod/models/

Garry’s Mod mounts other games so it uses their model directories as well, did you try what I posted?

no i didnt try it, i dont understand what you want me to try.
i did not fully make the server. i rent it and it comes for the most part pre assembled. i have to add the game types i want, i have to add the maps i want, and i have to edit the files as i please.

so what your asking me to look for is not where you may have it, if at all…

[lua]
BANNED_PROP_MODELS = {
“models/props_lab/huladoll.mdl”,
“models/props/cs_office/projector_remote.mdl”,
“models/props/cs_office/computer_mouse.mdl”
}
[/lua]

well that actually worked. but for what reason, i dont understand. i dont have that folder on the server, or at least that i can find, and ive looked through every directory on it. how can i reference that folder for future bans? is that stored on my side?

another question…without the map name being referenced before the model thats being banned does that make it banned on every map it appears?

I don’t know about the map thing, but you don’t seem to understand, Garry’s Mod mounts Half Life 2, and CSS. It takes their model directory structures, as well as including Garry’s Mods. I think as well if you have an add-on, which has a model directory inside the add-on folder, you can also reference that with just /models/… as well

i know it mounts them, hence why you need them to run certain maps or else you get the pink and black checkerboard. what you dont understand is that they are not in my server. so how are they being mounted? if there isnt a file structure containing those files, models, textures, ect. where are they coming from?

They have to be contained somewhere, they won’t be in the Garry’s mod folder, not sure exactly where though

i’ve checked through every folder on the server, there is absolutely nothing containing the tf2, hl2, or cs:s texture, models, sounds, ect… there is a mount.cfg that references them but there is nothing in the .cfg that calls for where its referencing them from or where they are house.

my only thought is that the company that hosts my server is mounting those from a repository that is not held within my slice of the server.