Barrel Trap Idea (response)

This is a response to a thread that was closed because it’s title was all caps.

The idea proposed the ability to craft a barrel explosive that looked nearly identical to the barrels that spawn items.

One particular critique was that people would just use bows on all the barrels rendering the explosive meaningless. This is my response to that:

“I don’t know about useless. Around your base it could be an early warning that someone is near. Or shoot one as someone runs passed it and blow them up. Not everyone will arrow hunt barrels because of this and a decent argument can be made for not letting arrows break barrels making a gun the minimum for ranged barrel hunting and announcing your presence even if it’s not explosive”

Additionally a land mine was suggested as an alternative but I think the barrel makes for more interesting game play options while a land mine is to similar to the current workings of the bear trap.

Many pointed out that the oil barrels are just a place holder, but regardless the model this basic concept could hold merit.

Barrels are a placeholder and will not remain in the game. Putting any level of effort into them is a waste of time that would detract from the actual game.

damn with I would have thought to mention that. maybe I could have said something like: “Many pointed out that the oil barrels are just a place holder, but regardless the model this basic concept could hold merit.”

silly me