(Beta) - Online cloud backup for data.

I have been playing Garry’s mod for a long time and the part that I hated the most was always losing my advanced dupes and E2 chips. I would always back them up before reformatting or deleting but either I am too stupid and lose them or some magic fairy deletes them. Anyway so I made this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323125115. it is an add-on that just synchronizes the files with a online backup. I figured other people might have the same problem so I made a public release for it.

The setup is really simple.

1. Click the subscribe button.
  2. Go back to step 1.
  3. Profit.

The functionality is really simple.

1. No setup request for it to work. The add-on automatically will sync once you join a server that allows client-side lua.
  2. You can if you want go onto www.garrysmodcloud.com and download, delete and share the files if you really want.
  3. No damn ads, I hate ads, adfly, etc but I figured a donation button was acceptable (don’t feel like you have to donate).

So that is about it, it is beta so any bug reports, bad words, comments or concerns send them to me at garrysmodcloud@gmail.com

Some pictures would be cool I guess so here

Sounds good, I’m gonna try it out!

$db_update = new PDO('mysql:dbname=garrysmodcloud;host=127.0.0.1;charset=utf8', 'GarrysModCloud', 'QvKLnw**********');

sigh please please please, restrict the file reading to the users directory.

Thank you.

this is a neat idea

As much as this seems amazing. Am I the only person consurned about privacy on this system. I don’t want to fall flat on my face here but. What can we aspect from a cloud storage that might gets attacked and brute forced. Someone has to ask these questions

I agree, privacy is one of my goals. I would really like suggestions on how to increase the security of this.

Well, for starters I ALWAYS recommend CloudFlare to anyone. Even if they don’t need there DDoS protection. It greatly speeds up any sites and allows older hardware to gave a more easy time

http://garrysmodcloud.com/doihavecloudflare.html

so this will only run if allowcslua is enabled or if you are in singleplayer? just manually copying my data folder would be easier than having to go into singleplayer to save all my files to a cloud or find a server with lua enabled. It would be great though if this took off and a majority of sandbox servers installed the addon.

Yeah, I have been trying to find a way for it to work in single player but no clear solution has showed itself. If servers install it then it would work great but I don’t think it will happen.

i think if you made a standalone application or service for syncing that would be better, but would require a lot more work than lua.

This is awesome, I really want to use this in the future but I have a question about synchronization. Will I be able to manually synch data and can I set the time until the next synch?

To be honest I never really thought of that, currently it is just a timer but I am open to ideas.

It’d be cool if this were a module and you gave some developer tools, options and shiny buttons. :X

AND sorry for the edit but it’d be cool if we could manually synch and toggle backup as well.

I am not a huge fan of lua development, I create a simple API for any developer to sync files they want to. People could create exactly what they want that way. Thoughts?

You could optionally make a menu state script - that would work on any server

gud.

Very nice idea & congrats on it …

However mklink the data folder to your dropbox and away you go.

Menu state script?