Better performance gamemode

I’m running a 40 slots cider server, but when there are more than 30 people in, it becomes laggy. I know that Cider is a very old gamemode, but it’s running (except for the lag) fine. The server side FPS goes from 8 - 30. I noticed that this is not caused by the amount of props spawned, but just because of the amount of players. It seems that the gamemode is using a lot of bandwidth. I have I use these settings in my server.cfg:

sv_maxrate 20000
sv_maxupdaterate 33
fps_max 250
rate 20000 
cl_updaterate 33
cl_cmdrate 33

Does somebody has tips to improve the stability/performance of a script?

Thanks in advance

fps_max 500/600
sv_minrate 20000
sv_stats 0

those should help.

fps_max 128
sv_maxrate 33000
sv_minrate 27000
cl_updaterate 33
sv_maxupdaterate 33
sv_minupdaterate 33
rate 33000

Tried both, but server FPS is still horrible low at 9 - 20, with 40 players on.

This is my net_graph:

http://uploadffs.nl/images/bad.png

That’s a lot of usermessages. The gamemode is probably just poorly coded, when you have that many usermessages being sent regularly, there is probably a lot of data being networked unnecessarily. I’m not sure you can do anything about it.

It sends a usermessage every 0.1 seconds, cant do anything about it unless you create separate usermessages for everything and do it properly unlike the current system in Cider.

Okay thanks, that explains a lot. But… I have no idea where to start and how to do it, could someone give me a example of a old cider usermessage converted to a new one?

I have average knowledge about LUA, I just need a example to start with. :wink:

I can take a look at the script and try and convert it if you want, PM’d you about it

Increasing the delay of the usermessages may work as a short-termed fix.

Do you know what is being sent in the usermessages? If its something that really doesnt need to be updated 10 times a second set it to one or more, once every second is plenty for pretty much anything.

Unfortunately a lot of things uses usermessages in Cider…

Monitor the usermessages. Do something like:

[lua]
oldUMSG = umsg.Start

function umsg.Start(name, pl)
print(name, pl)
return oldUMSG(name, pl)
end
[/lua]

Then check the console to see which ones are getting sent a lot.

Looks more like NWVars to me.

How? The dark gold color is usermessages, and its covering pretty much all the netgraph.

To the engine, NWVars are usermessages.

Defeating and replacing NWVars in a gamemode, is an almost endless struggle. It’ll take a lot of time to locate and replace these with substitutes.

To me it seems almost impossible, and I would never personally even try to.

This is completely unrelated, but can someone tell me how to get that netgraph?

EDIT: I deserved that dumb rating… do I search net_graph 2 IIRC on garrysmod.org?

I highly doubt this is it: http://download.cnet.com/NetGraph2/3000-2085_4-10575111.html … is it?

net_graph 2 IIRC

I believe you can put net_graph 1 in console 1-3 display diffrent information if i remember correctly.

I used net_graph 5