bf2 building port help

I ran into a problem porting a building from bf2 over to source, it has to do with the way bf2 does the uv maps and textures per polygon selection group. I am out of ideas how to do a realistic port with the existing textures because the uv map doesn’t scale to the texture right. Only thing I can think of doing is redo all the textures from scratch in 3d coat or something.

So what I really wanna do is be able to port these buildings over without having to jump threw a bunch of hoops.

Heres the raw data for the building in question, I included the textures.

in order to open the con file you need 3ds max and POE bf2 modding tools plugin.
also I used the BFmeshviewer app to export the project as an OBJ to retain all the materials

heres an example of what it looks like doing a simple port of the obj into an smd and adding the materials. The missing textures are there because I simply didnt add anything to that polygon selection group yet. I started with a few materials first to see if they worked correctly.

heres an example of what the UV looks like for the parts I have textured

heres an example of how bf2 does the textures, which are used on dozens of different buildings.

heres what it looks like in the BFmeshviewer app working

If someone can help me figure out a proper way to do this port you have no idea how thankful I would be. I like to make maps for personal use in singleplayer and am porting some buildings from bf2 over to give them a more realistic feel.
Thanks!

I don’t know why, but I don’t see any pictures you may have posted, so I’m not entirely sure how to help you.

Ok I have no idea why they show for me and not you and possibly no one else, so I replaced the pics with a direct link to them, which should work. Thanks so much for letting me know.

So after looking at the pictures, the only advice I can give is to do one of the following:

1. Re-create the UV’s of the map to align with the texture file.
  2. Separate the texture file to multiple different files, one file for every necessary texture, and apply it on a element-by-element basis in a 3d editing program.

I wish there was an easier way, but I looked back at BF Mesh view and saw that it doesn’t allow you to import/export .con files, which is unfortunate.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on number 2. I don’t know what you mean sorry, that sentence is very confusing.

you can import con files into 3ds max with the POE bf2 modding tool plugin.

What I mean in #2 is that you can use a photo editing program like Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint to crop the different parts into separate files.

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AACrtgCkYnuzZDCPejmKEJLYgkB0TQo8bJ5xvVnGwz8kTQ/12/436872070/png/32x32/1/1440471600/0/2/pictext.png/CIbHqNABIAEgAiADIAQgBSAGIAcoBw/lBI9LBXARUCxCa1584po9WQT7wV297yhbMOoFgeRLj0?size=1024x768&size_mode=2

An example would be how your .con file has all those different sections, such as the top two squares that are totally different from one another. You would cut each square out and make it it’s own PNG file, then apply it on each part of the map that it needs to go on.

Importing the .con file simply makes 3DS Max use it as one texture, whereas the .con file is a bunch of different textures together, as I explained above.

ty for explaining that.
Can I ask you a favor please, could you please do both step 1 and 2 as different examples so I can see how you did them and apply it to my future progress with these ports.
Again ty for explaining everything thus far.

Alright, here’s a better explanation. For my example, I’ll use an XM8 rifle.
The first idea is too hard to really do, let alone explain, so forget I ever mentoned it.

For the 2nd option, do the following:

1. After converting the .con file to a PNG or DDS, open that file in Photoshop, GIMP, or any photo editing program you may have. I will be using Photoshop, since that’s the tool of choice for me.
  2. Use the program’s selection tool. Most programs have a “shape selection” tool, or a “Free-form selection” tool. Either way, you would select a section like so:
    http://i.imgur.com/oCOBDZK.png

See how that section is entirely different from any other part in the entire texture? It’s supposed to be it’s own texture.
3. Cut the texture. In most programs, you could press Ctrl + X.
4. In a new window of your photo editing program, paste the texture you just cut. Make sure that the texture has no empty spots (an example of what I mean is if you pasted the texture into Paint, you want the white background to be the same size as what you just pasted).
6. Save it as it’s own PNG file. Make sure it’s not using the same name as the .con file or the converted .con file you got from the importer.
7. Repeat this for every texture from the .con file. Not every texture is the same size as the part I cut as an example. (Example: the green, red, blue, and orange squares on the right side).
8. In 3ds Max, import every texture you created from the .con file.
9. Open up the OBJ file you were using.
10. Apply the textures as you see fit.

This will take long while, but it’s the only viable solution I know of.
Also, it seems that the gas pumps and other parts use entirely different textures than the one from the .con file. You would need to find the other textures and apply accordingly.

How do I convert a .con to a png? do you mean convert a dds to a png?
also I don’t think that will work, take a look at this pic, the uv and the gas part of that image dont even come close to lining up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilsfbbro1n52tp7/problem.png?dl=0

The .con file is a text file,why would you convert a text file to an image file ?

@XsV=Tool.dont listen to what huntingrifle is saying
he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about

the image pictured is a common texture pallette used by multiple meshes to save on resources

[editline]25th August 2015[/editline]

geom0
lod0

Shader: StaticMesh.fx
Technique: BaseDetailCrackNDetailNCrack
Type: 0
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_01_c.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_02_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_cr.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_02_deb.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_crb.dds
Texture: Common\Textures\SpecularLUT_pow36.dds

Technique: BaseDetailNDetail
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/roads/textures/cityroad_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/roads/textures/cityroad_deb.dds

Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_02_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_02_deb.dds

Technique: BaseDetailDirtNDetail
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_di.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_deb.dds

Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_01_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/common/textures/common_01_deb.dds

Technique: BaseDetailDirtNDetail
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_02_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_di.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_02_deb.dds

Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_deb.dds

Technique: BaseDetailCrackNDetailNCrack
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_cr.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_01_crb.dds

Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_obj_01_de.dds
Texture: objects/staticobjects/_middle-east/city/textures/mecity_obj_01_deb.dds

I already know this much aswell, which is why I was confused by what he was saying. Can you help me figure out how to port this texture pallette properlly please?

I didn’t know the .con file is a text file, I only worked on BFP4F weapons so I didn’t have to even look at .con files. What I should’ve said was use the DDS files as cut out each part.
And You don’t have to apply the texture to the entire OBJ, you can select the “elements” tool (which looks like a red box in the “Editable Mesh” modifier) or the “faces” tool (looks like a flat square, should be near the elements tool), then select each element/face and apply the texture on a per-element or per-face basis.

That sounds good in theory, but if you look at the UV for the gas pumps I posted last, that wouldn’t be possible because the way the UV is scaled and arranged.

All I can say is test that theory, because unless Devilman has a solution neither of us know about, then I don’t know what to tell you.

EDIT: The last alternative I can give you is to play with the UV offset/rotation, and try flipping the textures (with a -1 tiling, since BFP4F likes to flip UV’s all the time)

did you see the pump texture and the uv map I posted earlier though?

the uv doesnt come close to matching the texture for the gas pumps, tiling fliping or rotating isnt gonna fix it.
I aprechiate you trying to help but I think I need help from someone with more experience in this field of modding/porting when it comes to BF2.

[DEL]Good way to plug yourself, mate.
Anyways, I know you said you want someone more experienced, but just to see what I can do, I’m opening up everything in 3DS Max right now.[/DEL]

I’ll get to it tomorrow, my computer is doing a backup and 3DS Max literally will not load. I’ll still see what I can do though.

I think that plugin only works in 3ds max 9, goodluck!

[editline]25th August 2015[/editline]

very cool videos, I like your content allot! snow mountain map is a beauty

3ds max 9 is the latest version of max,that the POE Tools will work for (It works fine on earlier versions of max)

In the meantime, Devilman, why don’t you help him since you say you’re more experienced?