Black and Purple Default texture- export from blender

Hello everyone

Hi! I’ve been having a rough time exporting my object into counter-strike for Half Life 2.

I’ve taken to the process and seen some tutorial videos but never get the same results, just my model in the model viewer looking pink and black checkered all the time. What’s more is it says in the model tab of Model Viewer that “*** ERROR *** Model attempted to load on or more VMTs it can’t find.” Being curious having seen a few other threads I am thrice sure that is not exactly what the problem is.

I downloaded the source tools for blender, and exported successfully an SMD.
In doing so referenced the following directories
Export path:
//…\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\models\props
and Engine path
//…\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\bin
Looked at facepunch studios forums to find the correct QC and IDLE .smd animation files that gets processed by;
GUI Studio MDL
And having threaded that to the correct directories as stated, it takes my model and spits out the finished mdl files, vtx, and vvd. Finally my Refferenced .Tga image file unwrap background is processed through a program called VTF edit, creating a glossy alpha channel and automatically producing a simple VMT as well. And then after all of that I’m able to look at the thing without seeing… it!

I know it appears to most people the problem is sowhere in the qc. file but here’s my qc file and my path directories of the vmt and VTF files.
:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\materials\models\props\cube3.vtf

$modelname “props/cube3.mdl”
$body mybody “cube3.smd”
$staticprop
$surfaceprop “wood”
$cdmaterials “models/props”
$scale 1

$sequence idle “idle.smd” loop fps 1

$keyvalues
{
“prop_data”
{
“base” “Wood.Medium”
}
}

Any way I could get some help?
I’ve double checked the SMD folder and it keeps referencing cube3.tga and i’m afraid I’ve already tried to make it cube3.vmt and cube3.vtf. i’m all out of ideas.

wow, so 36 people saw this. Should I just include less information or what? I don’t mean to spam here but, I mean k’mon this is what I did to get a null result.

*SMD File

[editline]19th March 2016[/editline]

anyway, this stuff is so much fun. check out my profile at blenderartists.org its williamofOgden

Did you give your materials in blender the same name as your textures before exporting?

Yeah, that was referencing a different file. But I changed it, re-exported and compiled with the same texture and error.

Sure looked nice though.

Alright.

Open up your vmt and make sure that’s got the right file path.

You can “view” the model using crowbar to see which materials its trying to load.

it’s difficult to say what I really did because of the results… It told me it was looking in the materials folder under models\props\cube3\ for a vmt called -t. I went and added the folder, and renamed the vmts, and now it’s just blank. Maybe i’ll fiddle with the Vtf edit settings?

[editline]20th March 2016[/editline]

Also, I recalled I had not set smooth shading on my model. since exported, recompiled, same odd missing texture, able to be seen only through wireframe.

Continuing, I made sure the vtf settings were normal and standard, which they now are.

Can you show us your vmt? You might need to change “lightmappedgeneric” to “vertexlitgeneric”

yeah, so here it is

“lightmappedgeneric”
{
“$basetexture” “models/props/cube3/cube3”
}

and changed to

“Vertexlitgeneric”
{
“$basetexture” “models/props/cube3/cube3”
}

The moment of truth! It worked!

[editline]21st March 2016[/editline]

can I post it? It’s visual paraphanelia, which I don’t think is neccesarily a crime, but k’mon, I know drugs ain’t neccesarily a good thing.