Black Screen mingery

Every now and then some asshole comes to the server, and does something so that everybody’s screen turns black, and nothing can be done about it except rejoining.

Does anyone know what causes this? What they use to do that, so I can prevent it?

It’s done with the matiral tool.
They place a non exsistant mat onto a prop and people who look at it get a black screen.
You can’t block the material as its not there. Just make the matiral tool donator or respected on your server ranks.

Hope this helps

You can make a whitelist, so only those materials can be applied to props.

@Busterguy
I’d rather not have to keep everyone else from using the mat tool… But if I really no choice, I guess I’ll have to.

@ms333
You can make a materials whitelist? How?

Replace your server’s existing garrysmod/gamemodes/sandbox/entities/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/material.lua with this material.lua.

At the top of the file you can add extra materials to the whitelist table. It also adds extra whitelisted materials to the toolgun’s material list. It already whitelists default toolgun materials, so if you don’t have any extra materials that you want to work in mind, just replace the file.

[editline]10th February 2013[/editline]

Also keep in mind that a gmod update could overwrite the new tool, so keep a backup someplace.

[editline]10th February 2013[/editline]

If you already downloaded that file, go to the new link that I edited in. I had forgotten to make it stop dupes of bad materials.

Thanks, but it gives me this error.

[ERROR] ...s/sandbox/entities/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/material.lua:108: attempt to index global 'List' (a nil value)
  1. func - ...s/sandbox/entities/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/material.lua:108
   2. FillViaFunction - gamemodes/sandbox/gamemode/spawnmenu/controlpanel.lua:107
    3. FillViaTable - gamemodes/sandbox/gamemode/spawnmenu/controlpanel.lua:92
     4. DoClick - gamemodes/sandbox/gamemode/spawnmenu/toolpanel.lua:77
      5. unknown - lua/vgui/dlabel.lua:206

in the client (yellow text and kicked for lua errors)

You need a script to block the material_override command in the console.

add sv_kickerrornum 0 to your server config
open material.lua, go to line 108, and change List to list

I don’t see how my post was dumb, it was perfectly legitimate since you had made an error in the code.

Anyway, it works now. Thanks.

It doesn’t really matter now. Garry fixed it in 157