Black Walls, Fun with Triggers, and Other Stories from a Bored Mapper

Been screwing around with a map I made several years ago for a server that no longer exists, just for fun. However, I’ve run into a set of problems.

VRAD Hates Me

Quite simply, this brush should not be black. It’s exactly the same as its partners in terms of material (and you can see that it is lit further down), and has several sources of lighting, but VRAD has somehow decided that this wall shall be black. Not even a flashlight can pierce its blackness, nor can 50 flashlights. I’ve been poking at it for several years as new SDKs come out, all to no avail. There are no errors in VRAD or VVis to tell me how this beast came to be. I’m tempted to recompile VRAD with some debugging code, but figured I might as well ask in here before attempting to re-invent the wheel.

The brush in question is part of an underground launch silo, which has some doors on the top in a “pizza” configuration, where the “slices” slide into the metal bits on the side when opening the silo. (Think of the cool doors on the alien spaceships in Independence Day.) A brush with the tools/toolsblocklight material covers the entrance, and a func_areaportal linked to the doors (closed by default) covers that.

I should mention that an earlier revision of the map had the lights flush with the wall corners, without the stone “conduits”. I moved them out a bit in an attempt to see if it was the angle of lighting causing the problem, but as you can see, it still persists. And yes, I’m aware the catwalk is ugly. I have Plans.

Weapon Removal Triggers

This is an area where I frequently pit NPCs against each other for my own personal amusement, and wish to add in a trigger that nukes all the guns that pile up in enormous drifts (as they tend to crash the game and distract rebels), all without killing players or NPCs.

I started by working with a trigger_weapon_dissolve, set to remove everything BUT physics debris. This is the brush that deletes your weapons (after they are dropped) in Half Life 2 when inside the citadel. However, the one I placed only seems to remove thrown grenades. I then tried with a trigger_physics_trap, which didn’t even remove the grenade, and failed to enable after being disabled, without any adverse console messages. I suspect that I’m using the wrong flags, but since I’ve used “everything except physics debris”, I’m not sure what else to use beyond a physics trap set to remove everything. However, a “kill everything in this hallway” button seems a bit stupid, considering there might be players in the control room once I get off my ass and fix up the map for release.

Energy Core Bugginess
In a piss-poor attempt to be fancy with the weapon-sweeper trigger, I threw in a truckload of weapon-stripper models and added in some env_citadel_energy_cores. They charge as expected, but calling Stop(4) on them didn’t do squat. They stayed on for the rest of the round and the mass of particles caused my framerate to drop. I haven’t seen any similar experiences on Google, so I assume I’m just doing something wrong. I may just remove them, but they’d be Nice To Have as a visual indicator that the weapon-sweeper is in operation.

There is a separate area for map related stuff.
http://facepunch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Also… stop compiling in Fast VRAD/VVIS, stop using “Curve” and you won’t have such lightning bugs.

My apologies, Garry’s sticky with the rules stated that “This [section] includes everything from scripting to mapping”, so I got confused. I can re-post this there, if you wish.

As for VVIS/VRAD, they are not being run in fast mode, as the compile log commandline arguments show. The only non-standard argument is -low, which I added to reduce the process priority and prevent them from locking up my PC. Omitting the -low argument produces the same result, anyway. I’m not sure what you mean by “Curve”, but VVIS/VRAD are both stock and not modified in any way, and I’m not running with -final.

Edit: Marking as solved so I can move the thread to the correct forum.