Blender - Backface Transparency Rendering Problem

Lately, i’ve been trying to render this Batgirl Model using Blender Internal (I’m more familiar with using that than Cycles, which I’m currently in the process of learning.), however I’ve run into a bit of a snag.

While every other part of the model looks fine when rendering, the cape for some reason doesn’t want to render correctly. I’ve narrowed the problem down to the Backface culling and implemented this simple node setup on both parts of the cape. However, when I render this using the node setup, it comes out like this.

I don’t know why, but for some reason the transparent parts of the Inner Cape (The black parts at the Bottom of the image) are visible, when they shouldn’t be and despite my every effort at finding a solution, I cannot fix this problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guf7p27dgvnlt0e/Batgirl.zip?dl=0
This download link contains the .Blend, Textures and OBJ file that I am using. If anyone can tell me the solution I’d greatly appreciate it.

works for me. even without nodes. are you sure?

more important additive. i saw something (lucky me - or you) messing with your light rig. the specular was dirty. means the textures are. they need a lil work. the compressor spit on it. the shot is with high gamma. shows it. whether you gotta repaint it or/and nice and cheap to prepare for the compression is/and how you could potentionally remove it, is… if you lower the green level by alil bit. it discolors it slightly, but ladies are a lil more pink anyway. :wink:

Ok I’ve took off the nodes like you said and while that got rid of the bottom transparency issue, I now had overlapping meshes. So I had to adjust the Z-offset of the inner cape by 0.00001 and it’s come out how I wanted it :smile:

Well at least that hurdle has been jumped.

Thank you for your help and advice.

well… that cape is modelled that way that it’s got two sides. but the overlapping is generally fixed by using backface culling in the shading optins. so only each front is rendered. button is in the center of the image.

the ‘pro’ tip is to always enable it to see if all polygons face in the correct direction and to see/fix mesh seams and holes. ensures the quality of the model and the exported model renders correct and as efficient as possible. some people (i’d say ‘noobs’) use $nocull to fix face errors. it’s actually not correct to do so. :wink: