BLENDER: Need Help with Bones on a Model

Heya everybody, I’ve actually tried my hand at porting a model and I seemed to be doing okay-ish up until an error saying something akin to “ERROR: Source bone limit is 128, you have 254 bones!” and to give an idea what this looks like, I’ll show you.

There are 90 bones on the arm-hairs (no idea what else to call them) collectively. The face has 55 bones as well, and I haven’t a clue how to remedy this. I am a complete amateur at this stuff and I have no idea how to fix the issue. If anybody could help out on the matter, that’d be great because I really wanna get this model into Source and see what I can do with it. If you need anymore information on the matter, I’ll try my best and give more info to see if I can provide.

Thanks in advance!

I’d get rid of the bones in the face first. If you want anything animated there, you’re better off using face flexes instead. You could also probably drop the bone count on the wings(?) from about 10 per segment to 4 or 5 at the very least. Other than that, your only option is probably going to be to shrink the bone count by removing bones in certain areas and/or remaking and re-rigging them with less. I don’t think there’s currently any way to bypass most of the limits source has.

Hello!

I’ve no idea on how to converting those face bones into face flexes, so I can’t do anything at all there. If you could do something that would help out there, that’d be great actually.
Yeah, there’s a few bones creeping around in the model that I think I can remove, so I’ll try to remove those few bones and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Facial flexes are a series of preset distortions of the face of the model, that can be mixed togther to form emotions speech, etc. I would suggest looking at models with existing facial flexes, like the character models from HL2 or TF2 to get an idea what flexes you’d have to make. These links aughta help yah with making and compiling them flexes:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Flex_animation

The wings don’t need all those bones, so I’d suggest bringing the bone count in each wing to around half. I also see some odd looking bones in the legs, so if you’re able to, post a screenie from the side of the model so I can see what they’re doing there.

Thank you for the tutorials! And I believe the bones you’re looking at are the bones for the feathers on her leg guns, but I’ll give you it anyhow: