Been kinda wanting to offer feedback and report some bugs (I think?) that I’ve been experiencing, or otherwise make note of my feelings on the current version of Rust Experimental. Iunno, I got bored and some things popped up.
- Server restart bugs. First it was code locks disappearing (thank god that’s fixed, though now they reset which is still annoying), and now it’s storage boxes being cleared (not sure if that’s just on my server or not, but I store everything in furnaces now, otherwise it’s constantly at risk to worse than raiders).
- Floating, indestructible objects (i.e. storage boxes, lanterns, and tool cupboards), make for very un-immersive experience, and an annoying reminder when tearing down abandoned or enemy bases.
- Animals. Animals, animals, animals. Sometimes they get hit, sometimes they don’t. Also, I’d like to note that apparently if you get an animal angry near a sleeper, they will turn and kill the sleeper.
- Bows. It would be nice if when I aimed the bow, the arrow would hit further than a quarter of the distance it feels like it should. Bow aiming was already awful in Legacy, and now it’s less a problem of aiming and more of a problem of the bow being nerfed to being nearly useless past melee range.
- Armor. Does it do anything? I know it doesn’t report values in the inventory, but does it actually effect anything? P.S. All the snow jacket models are currently blue.
- Building. I loved the previous building system, but I can understand why it was changed. Though, where as the developers claimed it was becoming a “hammering simulator”, now it feels more like a “lumberjack simulator”, because the amount of wood you need to do most of anything is so ridiculous you either spend some time gathering a ridiculous amount of wood or you will be making constant trips out to go cut down some trees.
- Building: Pt. 2. Is there some trick I’m missing to building a base taller than a single floor? I’m currently building a second floor on my 9x9 base and as I’m building, random other pieces of the second floor seem to be falling without any reason (it reports 93%+ stability, so wtf?). The only reason I can think of possibly is that I demolished the pillars on the floor below, but that was only after setting walls and doorways to hold the ceiling up and make it a more difficult raid, so I don’t see what the problem is here beyond it being a possible bug. I’m scared to build higher, cause I don’t know if random pieces of my second floor will fall down while I’m trying to build my 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc. floor and cause the whole tower to come crumbling down to the first floor again.
- Combat, in general. Maybe I’m just awful at it, but it seems incredibly difficult to hit people with melee weapons/tools besides a rock when they’re moving. (Or at least, the rock seems slightly less difficult).
- Salvaged Hammer no longer works as a better Hammer.
- I’m not too sure about the tool cabinet aspect. On one hand it’s a decent way to prevent easy raids or griefing of your base, on the other it becomes pretty much a game of “can the raider find your cabinet and screw your entire build over?”. Also, we should be able to demolish building pieces that aren’t under the influence of a cabinet, I’d think, but we can’t. I also plan on testing some things regarding multiple cabinets in one base, and cabinets set just outside of the limits of each other, and the like, to see if there are any issues there (not sure if anybody else already has or anything).
I’m almost certain there were a ton more items I was going to put on this list, but yeah. Those are some of the main points. Note, this is not meant to be perceived as complaining or anything, just reporting my experience, issues/bugs I’ve found, and the like.