Building Draw Distance

Please make the building materials like walls and foundations show from a ridiculous draw distance. When I look over a valley I want to see at least an outline of a building so that I know what I am trekking through.

This completely makes or breaks the game for myself and a couple friends of mine.

I can deal with players not being drawn at long distance, though I would thoroughly enjoy an increase in this as well. (seeing people running along ridges)

I love everything, except the draw distance, about this game. Keep up the good work and I hope the short draw is only for alpha!!!

EDIT::::::

This is what I am talking about…

Those 2 images are 1 step apart.

Now I am open and exposed in a Valley and anyone in the complex could pick me out like a sore thumb. When I was on the ridge looking into the Valley I saw nothing.

This would also help create combat on these low population privately hosted servers that people are complaining are empty as well…

I agree! I slider in the graphics options would be nice.

In the coming patch building draw distance has been extended out somewhat as far as I know.

Link, quote, anything? I was looking all last night and the only thing I could find was last month they increased it a little but might consider moving it back(un sure if this was reference to characters or models as well)

[editline]22nd November 2013[/editline]

A slider would be nice but I would like to see it be forced that way people can’t see though things that others might have already loaded.

They moved LOD out. Not the draw distance on buildings/characters itself, just the part where it goes from low to high-detail. If you’ve ever been in a rather open building you can see the rather jarring transition happening right in front of you.
Here’s the Trello card where you can see a video Garry posted that really shows it off: https://trello.com/c/dL207EO3

Ah well they need to fix that as well but that is really minor compared to the draw distance of buildings. Otherwise the vast land just looks like poop and vistas are pointless.

I disagree. The LOD thing was really ugly in large buildings. I dont care if buildings dont show up from across the map when the foundation and walls are flipping between low/high detail in a circle 5 feet around me.

I am just curious, how in a game like this can you “not care” if a giant base doesn’t show up across the valley? I feel like it takes MAJOR survival game play elements out of the game and you are left running around aimlessly into peoples bases that appear suddenly in front of you as, some as massive structures that would be easy to see from advantage points.

I agree that the LOD is awful but right now its acceptable and implemented so that is ok.

The LOD issue is way worse to me because it’s such a simple thing to change that would make a HUGE difference inside of large bases. You can see bases from far enough away that you dont “[run] around aimlessly into peoples bases” but having that circle of normal detail and then a sudden drop to no detail kinda takes you out of the immersion. Not to mention you can’t see through the slits in wooden walls until you’re right in front of them, meanwhile the ones inside can see you no problem, bit annoying when scoping out a base.

I get all the problems with the LOD.

I asked how you simple could not care about the draw distance. You are talking about immersion, running around aimlessly till you load some players house takes away GREATLY from immersion. Infact removing that kind of information is exactly opposite of immersion. Immersion would be able to see all building/structures from what ever distance. Even if it was just a single pixel and the weather conditions were correct.

I never said I don’t care at all. I said I don’t care when the LOD issues are so bad because they’re right in front of your face not way off in the distance.

The draw distance would need to have a slider for those with low end computers. The reason why they are keeping it at low distance is due to performance issues. I think they will have it all sorted out by the release of the game. Again it is only alpha and they have done so much. Good job to them xP

This is what I am talking about…

Those 2 images are 1 step apart.

Now I am open and exposed in a Valley and anyone in the complex could pick me out like a sore thumb. When I was on the ridge looking into the Valley I saw nothing.