Built-in anti-cheat

Will there be VAC protection in the game? Or is it the same as in Gmod (no)?

Hacking is a valid way to play the game.

5 Likes

@WYVERN what

1 Like

VAC will be totally useless like on Gmod, since modding is allowed.

4 Likes

Like Florian said you are allowing mods, someone is gonna make a cheat. If you had a mod that acted like an aim bot even in singleplayer you’d get them VAC’d

People on GMod made some pretty decent anti-cheats though, I’m sure they can accomplish the same if not better.

In fact I think someone is already working on a Source2 anticheat ( at basic level ) in the FP discord. Lot of cool reverse engineering stuff.

5 Likes

(they probably won’t but) maybe easy anticheat? Would make sense because they already use it for rust but who knows

1 Like

I disagree with that statement, but I don’t think there should be an “official” anti-cheat… I don’t believe an official anti-cheat should be a thing in a sandbox game.

1 Like

no anticheats

4 Likes

I really hope there’s some better ways to detect cheating here.

In GMod it was most of the time very effective to check a person’s hooks and compare them with your own. Since S&box development seems to be shying away from hooks, this may make it much harder to manually check for.

And then there was that popular anti-cheat you had to pay for that literally had a backdoor in it for some time.

1 Like

EAC block my mouse in rust…

2 Likes

There are always way to detect cheaters in games without using anti cheat on the client.

S&box allows a variety of game types to the point where a general anti cheat might not work, due to the modabillity of core game functionality and the engine.

Making games hard to cheat on is easier with s&box, since any new gamemode would require cheats for that gamemode if it’s different enough from other games.

Your speed hacks might not work because I use a different player controller. Your camera hacks won’t work because I’ve got an rts game and I check your camera location server-side. Your wall hacks won’t work because players not near you aren’t networked, your aimbot doesn’t work in my city builder, etc.

There are also other aspects to keep in mind. In my darker clone, If you use an exploit to give yourself a ton of money, I can just see that you’re a statistical outlier and ban you. I can also see who you play with, and if your friends were hackers, I can flag you as a potential and be more trigger happy when it comes to banning you.

Cheaters and anti-cheat is just a arms race, and that’s entirely fine. I know a bunch of people who enjoy taking things apart, seeing how they work and trying to find way to overcome and get around protections. That’s a legitimate thing you can do with s&box! Most people who make hacks aren’t the script kiddies who buys and cheats with them.

5 Likes

May I ask why you bought that mouse? Could it be because you wanted an unfair advantage over other players?

1 Like

Do you mean modding or hacking?

Saying hacking is a valid way to play the game is a bit weird.

1 Like
1 Like

S&Box community "I’ll do it myself."

2 Likes

Does a sandbox game have a way to play it? Rust has anti-cheat but only on official servers, does Gmod have any official servers? How would the anti-cheat know the difference between someone noclipping without permission and someone noclipping because the server developer targetted the wrong person within the code?
Hacking is a valid way to play, if you get banned by the server owner then they’re the ones losing because now they won’t know what the exploit was.

2 Likes

Of the shelf, client-side anti-cheats like EAC or VAC in 2021 are a minor annoyance at best. The only effective ways to identify people playing the game in a way they are not supposed to nowadays is through server-side solutions (something akin to VAC-Net or similar) or crowdfunded solutions (like CSGO’s Overwatch), and neither of them are compatible with S&Box due to how heterogeneous the gameplay will be from server to server.

The best way to deal with this is to not bother with a global anticheating solution at all, and let developers come up with their own way to deal with this for each community/gamemode, since some (competitive) gamemodes will need a much more robust and intrusive solution that would weigh down another gamemode that has literally 0 need for an anticheat.

There is a case to be made about how just like the thief is made by the opportunity, the cheater is made by how easy it is to cheat, and how client-side solutions serve to not allow for a “low hanging fruit”. However, I think trying to meddle with these will cause more problems in the long run than its worth to develop it to a place where it’s decent.

5 Likes

I bought mouse from bloody before I bought Rust

1 Like

@WYVERN , it’s not as simple as: don’t network the other players for a wallhack since then you get problems like enemies popping out of cover and appearing instantly in front of you and similar issues that once plagued anticheats/servers like ESEA or Faceit.

I’m not sure if an open source serverside anti cheat would be a great idea, probably not, but I can see many devs reinventing the wheel and spending lots of time creating anti cheats for their FPS gamemodes.

And I know my idea would be worth shit without a decent one, since ideally it would match players based on skill, without any admin present, just like CSGO.

1 Like