C# part of Sandbox - Will it be Open Source?

Will the C# part of Sandbox be open source similarly to the lua part of Garry’s Mod?

1 Like

Can’t see why it wouldn’t be. Garry is trying to get as much as he can at addon level, only seems logical that we would be able to see it

( I’m assuming he means this https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysmod )

1 Like

I would hate it for not to be open source, how would it even work without it?

1 Like

Garry has stated(or at least implied) that we’ll be able to see everything he’s extending to C#, and that he’s exposing as much as he can of the engine to C#. Looking at the commit history does seem to confirm this.

He implied also that addons should/could be picked up by VS at least. That’ll be great.

1 Like

There’s no reason why you explicitly need the source code because you link up the library dll in a c# project in VS and there’s full intellisense already for the entire API. Anyone who’s used Unity Engine knows this, there’s plenty of info given but if you actually dive into the libraries it’s all externs to the c++ side of their engine.

1 Like

This isn’t Unity though, Garry’s mentioned (and showed off) plenty of examples of code he’s moved from the engine side to C#. These are the things people are interested in.

1 Like

TankNut’s post aside, people are referring to the C# library being open source much like the Lua library is for Garry’s Mod. The Lua library being open source has allowed people to learn and hone their own skills by seeing how everything works in Garry’s Mod and has also allowed thirdparty developers to contribute enhancements and fixes to the base GLua API.

No reason for that to not occur in S&Box I imagine. It’s a good tool to learn from and I can’t imagine just reading wiki article after wiki article to see how things like UI interaction and gamemode design work.

2 Likes

I think the only reason why they would not open source the C# part would be for legal reasons - idk if Valve would be happy about it if they do it since a lot of the code is based on Source 2 code

2 Likes

All of the C# code is facepunch, so there’s no reason why they wouldn’t. Garry has been in the process of exporting engine code to c#, and that’s been really interesting so far with the freedom addon creators have. I’m really looking forward to making different animation methods with the player animator, which would normally be handled by source 2.

1 Like

Just to reiterate I never said it shouldn’t, just that it’s largely unnecessary.

1 Like

if it’s wrote by facepunch there’s no reason it can’t be open source, remember that all the exposure to c# is done in engine code in C++ so none of that would need to be open source (and would never be allowed by valve anyway) for the game code to be open source, kinda like how gmod lua is open source :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the C# side becomes open source, I really hope they will quickly process potential pull requests. I hope it doesn’t become like Gmod where it’s just left to be abandoned for years.

2 Likes

I think people misunderstand here what I was talking about. It is only about ported C# code. I am not talking about the C++ part. Even if they port and rewrite Valve’s code to C# that might be still an issue.

1 Like

Depending on the available documentation at the time of general release, it might be necessary for developers to have access to the code in order to better understand the functions and how they work. I believe that code could be a good source of examples on how to get things to work properly, so I’m all up for that part being open source.

3 Likes

What’s unnecessary? It’s an excellent learning tool and arguably much nicer than reading tutorials for some.

2 Likes