C4 Splash Damage

Hi all, quick question. What is the splash damage of C4? A friend told me it was a 3 block radius, but that seems high to me.

I mainly want to know, if I build a 2x2 armored wall, and place a twig stair in say the top right hand corner. If the bottom left hand corner is C4’d, will the stairs be destroyed?

Thanks in advance.

C4 really has a 3 block radius. Its actually ridiculous because one C4 charge can damage walls 4’th wall deep. C4 -> |||| <<

Now, one C4 by the time it hits the 4’th wall, the damage will be extremely little. Normally its just a few hit points so you do not notice it so much. From what i have seen the 4’th wall ( 3 block deep ) still gets somewhere between 50 to 100 damage IF they use 3 C4’s on a armored outer wall.

If you build a 2x2 armored wall, the twig stair will 100% be destroyed as it only has 5HP and its at best on the second block.

But i will be honest… twig stair / buildup. Its kind of a lame defense tactic. On the server i play, its even forbidden ( stairs need to be the same material as the walls ). And admin’s do monitor it ( and destroy people there bases for not following the rules ).

You actually learn to build a better base with that rule. In your case i advice building up in a 2x2 but putting 2 armored doors on each floor. So the attackers can penetrate each floor but they need to spend somewhere around 5 C4 per floor. And only place your primary loot room on a 4 or 5 floor. And put maybe a layer or two above that, with metal barricades on the roof.

thanks ben, thats awesome! I’m actually planning (and have built before) a very similar base. Usually a 4x4 with a 2x2 in the middle acting as a stairwell. I hear what you’re saying about the twig, it’s a bit of an underhand tactic. I think for solo play its not that rude, but shouldn’t be employed in groups

Yesterday i had some fun with some people raiding me ( i was Running Man = Mod where if you are running man, you get a reward for surviving 30 min or they get reward for killing you ). And i got a fairly big base for a single player.

They used 5 C4. Three on a armored wall, 2 on a stone wall before they gave up blasting. I fixed the holes ( the two destroyed walls ). But spend 10 times more time in repairing all the damaged walls.

Only to today realize that the damage had also gone up 3 floors. And i had 50 to 75 damage on parts there also.

To me it seems that the damage model for Rust is very simple.

250 / 350 damage on x meter ( 0 meter ).
Then xxx damage on 1+ meter ( block one ).
Then xxx damage on 2+ meter ( block two ).

And it seems to totally ignore how much walls you have in between. Just a global blast damage model. So technically, you need to make a base in 3x3x3 massive blocks to reduce the blast range effect to zero for your second wall. Compact bases just suffer so much damage that after the first C4 charges, the amount of C4 charges needed to penetrate walls is massive reduced. While your initial building cost was just as extreme high ( especially if your using armored walls ).

blimy - I hear what you’re saying chap. Damn, that’s an expensive base! Just for double layer wall protection, that’s a 9x9. Not sure you’d get enough floors in before stability became an issue to do the same vertical!

I reckon damage should change so no, or at least less damage gets through

sounds like a fun mod btw!!

If the foundations aren’t connected, does blast damage still apply? In other words, is the blast area 4 connected foundations, or 12 meters?

Its not a problem. My current base is something like 6 floors up and the stability was 80% at the top. I only ended up with a few “bad” spots with 36% because the walls i placed, had no walls “below” it on the first floor ( did not know that the game calculated this way ). So those few inside walls had 36% but all the other walls outside, central stairway, pillars, floors etc that use the pillars from below are all 80% at the top. You lose something like 3% per layer going up. So 100% ground, 97% first floor, etc …

My base now is something like 8*8 ( the core ), 6 floors up. Armored first and second floors. Armored core, stairs. 30+ doors for sure ( two per floor and more everywhere else etc ). Another massive double wall around it ( 2 or 3 levels high ). About 100+ metal barricades and maybe 200 wood barricades. And yea, that was build solo! Its a very active raid server but i am in the middle of nowhere and on friendly terms with some of the bigger clans.

I know the costs lol … a 3x3 cube to 9*9 layered base is actually cheaper on the resources because you have way less walls and floors to do. Its mostly pillars.

It does 3 foundations length. So 9m… The reason your 4th wall gets damaged still is because its part of the 3th foundation / floor tile / …

Blast damage is calculated in a spherical range, about 9 meters from the center of the explosion. So it has no relevance on connected foundations.

The guy using the C4 also needs to get x meters back, or he dies from his own explosion. What happens a lot more then you think ( that people get blasted by there own explosion ).

1 foundation is definitely not 3m… More like 2 tops, if even that.

[quote=“benjiro, post:2, topic:203350”]

C4 really has a 3 block radius. Its actually ridiculous because one C4 charge can damage walls 4’th wall deep. C4 -> |||| <<

Now, one C4 by the time it hits the 4’th wall, the damage will be extremely little. Normally its just a few hit points so you do not notice it so much. From what i have seen the 4’th wall ( 3 block deep ) still gets somewhere between 50 to 100 damage IF they use 3 C4’s on a armored outer wall.

If you build a 2x2 armored wall, the twig stair will 100% be destroyed as it only has 5HP and its at best on the second block.

But i will be honest… twig stair / buildup. Its kind of a lame defense tactic. On the server i play, its even forbidden ( stairs need to be the same material as the walls ). And admin’s do monitor it ( and destroy people there bases for not following the rules ).

You actually learn to build a better base with that rule. In your case i advice building up in a 2x2 but putting 2 armored doors on each floor. So the attackers can penetrate each floor but they need to spend somewhere around 5 C4 per floor. And only place your primary loot room on a 4 or 5 floor. And put maybe a layer or two above that, with metal barricades on the roof.[/]

That is interesting. My bottom floors have no stairs- we use all door jumps for the first floor. Does your server allow for that?

The other thing that might break this rule is rotated stairs of wood or twig (say make that room wood or twig walls) and the upstairs all armored to increase the chance of that happening as well. That would seem to be within the rules as well. I play on officials so I am curious how people cheese the rules.

the worst server lol, quit that place of sorrow man

the beauty of rust is the lack of rules, and this one here is one of the worst i’ve ever read about.

hadri, go on useing that trick, it’s quite good.

My stairs are always twig, even in armored bases. This ensures that unless they’re going at my armored walls with tools, they’ll destroy the stairs leading to the next level. It’s a valid defense tactic, and I don’t think I’d play on a server that punished for this.

agreed. the beauty of rust is there are no rules. if a jackass want to build his house with no doors, being trapped inside, he can. if he want to build a stupidass tower with no stairs, he can.

the only rules in rust are the limitations of the bulding system and the tool cupboard.

Actually, it helps with the gameplay more. It just got so out of hand that everybody build buildups. So there was no more raiding going on and people just ended up grieving each other non-stop with pure base destruction ( if i can not have it, you can not. That type of mentality ).

Its actually a known server, run by people who youtube raids / defense mission etc. There is not a lot of content to youtube if everybody just build buildups.

The problem with no-rules is that eventually people will exploit every game mechanic to the extreme. Do you like to raid bases who have buildups and you wast a lot of C4/Rockets on? Sure, you can rocket the base, get maybe some loot but its just not really fun?