Can't compile.

My friend is having issues on his map. He hasn’t been able to compile his map at all.

It was almost complete, then he tried to compile it and he failed. After that, he decided to try to go back to a version that did compile, and that wouldn’t compile either.

He has re-compiled multiple different versions, and every single one of them has failed.

We can’t for the life of us figure out the problem, so we’re coming to you.

Just in case you ask for the compile log, that pastebin is the log.

the only thing catching my eye is vrad crashing apparently

looks like it compiled to me

findportalside: couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-13441.1 13312.0 6989.8)

This error is usually followed by something like this:

Leaf 0 contents:(may vary)
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID (may vary, e.g. CONTENTS_WATER)
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID (ditto)
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents
Candidate brush IDs: [none or more brushnumbers]

Usually, this error is caused by a leak, so fix it if it is.
If it isn’t, there is a (group of) brush(es) that is/are giving vbsp.exe a hard time to figure out your level.
Apparently it cannot determine the boundaries of a certain portal. Maybe there is a large brush covering the area, maybe the area is just to complicated for poor vbsp to figure out.

I don’t know the details but usually turning entities to world brushes or vice-versa helps to fight the problem. Hell, just cutting a brush in two once helped me fight this problem.

Find the given coordinates (or if a brush number is given search for the brush number) and see what you can do to to simplify the area (like turning brushes to func_detail). You should also check to see if the brushes are overlapping at any point.

See also:
Finding brushnumbers and coordinates

The affected object may not work and/or cause general errors

Last contribution: Smurfy
fastvis = true

You seem to be running vvis in -fast mode. This is okay for testing purposes, but mind that this will cause:

Strange compile errors, like 'cluster saw into cluster' errors
Strange errors ingame (including unexpected crashes)
Hitting limits ingame, by skipping essential optimization processses
Lower performance ingame

If you experience any of these problems, and don’t have any specific clues for the cause, please try to compile without the -fast option, see if that helps. If compiling without -fast is taking too long /seems to crash vvis, you may need to optimize your map using func_detail

Last contribution: Anonymous
zero area child patch

A solid in your level has a face with no area. My guess is that vrad.exe is trying to create a lightmap for a face that doesn’t exist. Maybe you have an invalid brush?

First check Hammers problemchecker (alt+p). If that doesn’t solve your problems, you can either ignore the error, or try to find it anyway using cordon tools. You would be looking for brushes which might be too complex. I wouldn’t recommend the second option.

See also:
Reference: Finding the cause of unknown errors

Generally, this error may be ignored

Last contribution: Anonymous

[editline]9th December 2012[/editline]

vrad is crashing on calculating ambient light

raise the lightmap scale on large surfaces or chop them up.

Thanks everyone. But after a little research, i have found the solution in an old facepunch thread from 2009.

After a quick run through of the compiler while watching the memory usage in the task manager, i noticed that it would, in fact, crash around 1.5GBs. After a quick search on the internet, i found a decent LAA program and followed The Pros’ instructions. It works like a charm!