Can't find background image 'materials/console/background01.vtf'

So, " Can’t find background image ‘materials/console/background01.vtf’ "

I get that message when I attempt to launch gmod, after “preparing to launch Garry’s mod” a black screen opens and the error message instantly appears. I assume that background01 is the loading screen so I went to where the error was referencing to find that it wasn’t there. I then created a materials/console/background01.vtf (after using VTFedit or whatever it was called again to turn one of the menu backgrounds into a VTF, then rename it to “background01” and putting it in the folder) and it still didn’t work.

After that, I did some research and found that the file would be in a GCF, which is now a VPF, and used GCFscape to open garrysmod_dir and sure enough background01 alongside other VTFs were found in materials/console

At this point I concluded that the VPF was not being recognised for whatever reason, but could not find mention of this issue anywhere on the internet.
Other things I’ve tried:
I tried moving all the files found in the VPF into my garrysmod/garrysmod but it still didn’t work.
I tried uninstalling the game.
I tried uninstalling the entirety of steam.
I tried uninstalling all my installed source engine games (which is only counter-strike source)
I tried verifying game cache to no avail.
I have looked for similar cases, some of which had strange fixes such as changing launch options to -steam -secure which also didn’t work.

I haven’t had the chance to see what the difference between my copy of gmod and a working copy of gmod looks like yet, which may help in determining the problem.
Also, this copy of gmod is a fresh install and has not been played before on my current computer.

I can supply pictures, but I’m not sure how to do this via the forum.

Edit:
If someone could post pictures of their garrysmod files so I can check my own, it would be greatly appreciated

Delete your common/garrysmod folder, them, uninstall and reinstall.

That did not work, it comes up with the same error.