$cdmaterials problem

I have made a 3D sign with some stylized text on it, I want it colored light blue. I added a 256x256 vmt/vtf with the name “sign” with my desired color at ‘materials > models > orionsign >’ but no luck, it is still black and pink.
If someone could make a solid blue texture that works with it I would be very happy, or atleast point me in the right direction. I have spent hours trying to get it to work :frowning:

My sq file:

$modelname "orionsign/sign.mdl"
$scale 1
$body mybody "M:\Steam\SteamApps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike\models/sign.smd"

// ----------------------------------------•----
$staticprop /* Put $staticprop here if your model is static*/
//--------------------------------------•-------

$surfaceprop metal
$cdmaterials "models/orionsign"

// Sequences

$sequence idle "M:\Steam\SteamApps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike\models/sign.smd" loop fps 1

// Physbox

$collisionmodel "M:\Steam\SteamApps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike\models/sign.smd" { $concave }

mdl file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00582672432673777055

Check if your $basetexture in your vmt file is also pointing to the correct material path as stated in the $cdmaterials

If that doesn’t work, check your .smd files to see if the material name in the .smd file matches with the names of the vmt and vtf files.

This is my first 3D model, I didn’t know you had to choose texture in blender :confused:

I have now done that, but now the whole front of the model doesn’t render and the rest are still error texture ;_; I can’t seem to figure it out. Can’t find good info

In your vmt do you have a line that says “lightmappedgeneric”? You’ll need to change it to “vertexlitgeneric” if you do.

ive had this same problem my fix was just adding a / at the end like this
“models/orionsign” to “models/orionsign/”

This worked for me,

“vertexlitgeneric” kinda fixed it. Only the front of the model is textured though, the sides and the back are still errors. I think I did something wrong in blender, I doubt vtf/sq files can do that.

Is there an easy way in blender to make sure that the UV map cover the entire model?

My UV map looks insane for such a low poly model, yet it still only shows on the front in hammer. I can’t preview the texture in hammer because when I put it on texture mode it turns black for some reason

http://s17.postimg.org/rq0xtbkfj/orion_UV.png

I suggest you look up some Blender UV editing tutorials. They might help you out.

Here’s one I found.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/UV_Map_Basics

There are more for sure, but I will leave that up to you to find them.

I’m not sure if the UV map is updating, looking at UV Map tutorials I think I understand where I went wrong. I did project from view first which only takes what is currently visible. But now I have done it proper, but it still stays the same.

I remember unpacking counter strike models a long time ago and seeing the UV, how do I unpack my own SMD file to look at the UV that is packed into it? I have a feeling it’s saving it with the old UV I set up.

EDIT: I have fixed it, but I can’t find the solved button :frowning: