Chat creation.

I need a push in the right direction.
I have tried making a chatbox and it went quite well, except that I had to click ENTER once again after typing a message to disable screen clicker and I had some issue with FinishChat that didn’t even want to work unless I closed chatbox (the custom one) manually and pushed ENTER afterwards.

So… yeah, all I need is a general knowledge on this topic, perhaps list of hooks I should use or few examples.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve never worked with the chat box myself, but taking a second and looking at the gamemode hooks it seems like you’d want to use these.

Obviously
StartChat
FinishChat
For when the player opens and closes the interface.

OnPlayerChat
For updating and displaying chat

I am not sure what else you’d need. Good luck with your script.

NOTE: I’d just browse the Gamemode Hooks and search for anything containing say or chat.

I know that you wanted to help, but didn’t I mention that FinishChat isn’t working well with my chatbox?
Ergo, even if I am finished typing a message and press enter, I still see the cursor until I click enter again.

Obviously not the best solution, but you could just simulate a second enter instantly after they press the first enter?

Yeah I get that you’re having issues with the script and the FinishChat hook, but you still did ask for “general knowledge on [the] topic [and] a list of hooks” almost word for word.

Can you post the code you’re using to close your chat?
My first thought is to add a timer. Just timer.Simple( 0.1 function() close end )

That’s not the point.
I am using VGUI for chatbox and DTextEntry for text input, when I run OnEnter and close the chatbox, I still have to hit enter again.

My old gmod chatbox I updated for the beta.

https://github.com/clrksml/chatbox

And then the one from source tribe.

https://github.com/clrksml/tribelink/tree/master/lua/tribeplugins/TribeChatBox

[lua]
self.TextEntry.OnKeyCodeTyped = function( entry, code )
if ( code == KEY_ENTER ) then

local text = entry:GetValue()

if ( text && #text > 0 ) then

RunConsoleCommand( teamchat && "say_team" || "say", entry.command && "!"..text || text )
		end 

self:Hide()

end

end

[/lua]

[lua]function PANEL:OnKeyCodeTyped( key )
if key == KEY_ENTER then
timer.Simple( 0.1, function() self:Close() end)
end
end[/lua]

Yeah I get that you may be using VGUI or what ever, but use a timer and it may solve your issue. Look through the code of any free chat box and that appears to be what a majority of them have done.

That’s helpful, really, but I am using a VGUI.