Check if player is running

How would I check if a player is currently running?

Thanks

hook.Add("Move", "UniqueHookName", function(ply, move)

if move:KeyDown(IN_SPEED) then
	--your stuff here
	end
end)

Thank you I Will try now. But how would I disable running(Im making a stamina system) Thanks

Whenever they should not able to run, you could put the run speed to the same as walk speed.

I Have done that Thanks. But the whole things tthe other guy wrote to check if I was running I dont understand. I Tought there would be something like LocalPlayer():IsRunning()

if ply.Stamina <= 0 then
ply:SetRunSpeed(ply:GetWalkSpeed())
end

or something like this. Please don’t use hardcoded values, so it is adaptable to other gms and so on.

[lua]hook.Add(“Move”, “UniqueHookName”, function(ply, move) – The Hook is called everytime an player moves.

if move:KeyDown(IN_SPEED) then -- Check if the Key Pressed is the Sprint Key (IN_SPEED)
--your stuff here
end

end)[/lua]

Yeh I have set the run and walk speed as a variable in the teams , so I can just do it that and and if it gets modified it will all update :slight_smile: But Thanks for the help. Anyway is there an easier way to check if the player is running?

Also how do I get a players teams Using Team() on a clientside script. Like LocalPlayer():Team() As i get an error for it

[editline]24th October 2014[/editline]

Here is the error too

[ERROR] gamemodes/thedarkestdays/gamemode/cl_init.lua:18: attempt to call method ‘Team’ (a nil value)

1. v - gamemodes/thedarkestdays/gamemode/cl_init.lua:18
  2. unknown - lua/includes/modules/hook.lua:84

Use this to check the players team == the right team

If LocalPlayer():Team() == teamname/teamid

Those aren’t good ways to detect if the player is running. I started working on an example for a stamina system ( with a student who wanted to go back to it later after working out a few easier things ) which will provide insight:

This is where the lesson stopped: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26074909/tutoring/_systems/basic_stamina_system/sh_stamina_system.lua

So basically if you hold the shift key and are not moving, it’ll count it as sprinting with the above in this thread method. But, if you grab the walk-speed and determine if player is moving faster, then you have a reliable method for detecting “sprinting / running”. You can also return the 0-1 value in terms of speed OVER walk-speed to max-speed-possible-while-running to determine how much energy to burn, or whatever…

The part where we do the calculation to grab the modifier of x speed OVER walk-speed to max-speed-while-running to calculate energy consumption, etc, is in the next part of the lesson.

darkmist, if you want to review the part of the chat-log that covers stamina systems and covers a lot of the mechanics ( which are in the file above and beyond that file ), feel free to add me on Steam.

bump

Why am I getting this error? [ERROR] gamemodes/thedarkestdays/gamemode/cl_init.lua:3: attempt to call method ‘Team’ (a nil value)

1. unknown - gamemodes/thedarkestdays/gamemode/cl_init.lua:3