City map

Hey all. Here’s a city layout I’ve been blocking out in Source 2 over the past couple of weeks. It currently takes up the entire grid in Hammer, though there’s still plenty of empty space to be filled. (I’m aware that there are plans to increase the map size limit and/or enable level streaming, but I’m sticking with the current limit for now)

This is still in super early stages and I don’t even know if I’ll have the time and energy to complete something of this scale, but so far it’s been fun to work on. With my previous maps I waited longer before showing anything off, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to get some early feedback. Let me know!

23 Likes

594_LI (2)

2 Likes

This looks really nice. What kind of style are you going for in this?

3 Likes

My favorite maps in gmod was cities.
The undersea tunnel sounds good.
And the whole “project” sounds too!

Keep up the good work man! :smiley:

2 Likes

very nice looking

1 Like

Love the idea of having two sections divided by the water

1 Like

Awesome design! You’ve definitely approached a more planned city than a natural one with the grids. Interesting that you’ve decided to put the residential district next to the industry sector. Does your industry sector not include factories? normally you’ll put the residental and commercial near each other, and put the industrial sections further away from the residential.

Another thing you could do is use the bay underneath the industry area as a port for shipping (although that puts it quite close to the suburbs, so perhaps not?) I love that you’ve incorporated different elevations in your design. Also thaught about a sewer / drainage system? (I know it’ll be a bunch of work, but it’s something to consider)

One thing you can do to break up the monotony of a grid-like city is to have some areas in downtown be pedestrians only;- so the entire road is paved and dedicated to markets, they normally also function as town centres and will be next to all your shops.

Overall I like your design! the split island design definitely feels from a gta game, but that’s because they give you so many different areas to mess around with!

6 Likes

I really like the undersea tunnel bit, it’s one of those details that helps to really set a map apart.

2 Likes

You have a really neat style for blocking out designs. I love the ideas and It’s going to be amazing to see the next contenders for legendary maps like gm_bigcity and Mobenix.

1 Like

Thanks! So far, west coast cities like San Francisco, Portland and Seattle have been my primary reference/inspiration. In terms of art style, I haven’t decided yet. My GMod maps were semi-realistic, but that’s mainly because I relied on the assets included with GMod/HL2. I’ll probably wait and see what style(s) s&box will end up using and what kind of assets are included.

Thank you, that’s some great feedback. Good point about the residential and industrial areas. My plan was to use commercial areas as a sort of buffer, but now I’m also thinking that it might make more sense to swap the locations of these residential and industrial areas. At least that way, the suburbs are closer to the rest of the residential areas, and the industry is closer to the refinery/power plant/whatever. I’ll experiment with that.

I always like adding interconnectivity to my maps, so some kind of sewer system would definitely be interesting. At the very least, I’d like to create some kind of tunnel near the water treatment facility that extends underground and connects to the river, allowing small water vehicles to do a full loop around the downtown area. Pedestrian-only areas sound like a good idea too, I’ll consider that.

4 Likes

Map looks cool but the map looks pretty small just as source 1 maps. I Hope there will be a way to make bigger maps, otherwise im really sad they switched to sc2.

1 Like

Big maps aren’t everything. Sure they’re good and they’re great for vehicle based gamemodes, but they can often lack detail due to the mapper having to add detail to a larger area. Anyway, if there wasn’t a switch to S2, I doubt there’d even be an sbox. It was pretty much dead before the switch, and UE4’s not the greatest engine for the sort of thing sbox is.

but yeah, don’t think it’s bad that maps aren’t allowed to be practically infinite. Sure it blocks off some gamemode ideas and large scale projects, but smaller maps can make mappers use more creativity which is, in my opinion, superior to size. Garry should add it if he can, but it won’t be devastating if he can’t

also, name 1 good and detailed map that uses up the entire map size in source 1.

4 Likes

Awesome map, hope you finish it and we will play on it in the future.

1 Like

Even with UE, huge maps wouldn’t be ideal. Optimization has limits, and very big maps would have been a drag. Large open worlds are handled via level streaming anyway, hopefully we’ll be able to leverage this in s&box

1 Like

But why lock out These possibillities. If you want small maps, just keep EM small. I think there would be teams, that can make big maps with Detail.

Btw you could create a Script that Handle some of the Detail stuff. Small maps are dated, streaming or large maps are the Feature.

2 Likes

Don’t lock them out. If Garry can increase the size limit, he should. But source 2 is much better than UE4 for what Sandbox is doing, and only having map size be the hammer 2 limit wouldn’t be enough of a reason to switch back considering most maps in gmod dont even use up half the space. I want bigger maps, it’d be great, but it’d hardly ever be used aside from a few custom games based around vehicles

3 Likes

A lot of players want to have huge maps but when you see that the majority of servers (the biggest) can’t manage to use half of the map… it remains to be considered.

1 Like

The idea to be able to finally create some realistic speed aircraft without having to constantly turn left in a circle is really appealing tho. But yea, considering how this is probably one of the most discussed topics by the community since the beginning of the development, I don’t think this limitation will be there for long, even if the game launches without addressing it in any way (which I find unlikely).

I find that in probably 99% of the gamemodes, a more densely populated map is much more enjoyable than a deserted city. I imagine this will be a topic of contention in servers forever since it already is in GMod. People seem to never agree on a map size that is adequate for a given server, even in non-RP servers.

1 Like

Yeah. Valve will either increase the limit themselves, or Garry will. Vehicle based gamemodes sound really nice though, I’d love it.

1 Like

I think the extra room will be needed considering FP are talking about a player limit around 500.

2 Likes