CivitasRP - A realistic roleplay framework for S&box

Looks good! Can’t wait to see where this goes, also the planned features look cool.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback. Any features you’d like that aren’t on the board already?

1 Like

Make sure admins can generate temporary characters for events (either blank or from a preset). And make sure they can also do those for others, e.g. players participating in an event.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah! Thanks for reminding me. I did that for my previous Roleplay prototype in gmod but forgot about it for this project. I’ll add it to the project board.

2 Likes

Developer Update #2

Hello everyone! Was a while since I did a full update so thought it was about time. There’s been alot of work behind the scenes, so lets get started!

UI

When it comes to UI there has been alot, and I do mean ALOT of refactoring under the hood. I began the tedicous job of moving styling from inline styling(in ReactJS) to Sass, utiliising it’s full potential when it comes to variables etc to simplify and standardize styling across the board. I’ve also been simplifying and removing as many unnecessary divs as possible to make the html more readable(and just in generally saitifying my waaaay too annoying brain).

I have also been working on a new style for the panel UI utilising the new powers of Sass that allow for css variables.

I’m not 100% sold yet on the design but it looks alot more uniform to the main menu style that I’m personally very happy with. The simple/modern styling I think encapsulates what we’re trying to achieve with this gamemode and I do think it works really well here.

Map

We have finally gotten started on a map! We don’t have anything to show yet because we want something concrete before we show pictures however it feels good to have gotten started. Our aim is to create a fully custom map with as few off the shelf assets as possible. This is a tall order but I feel confident in our mission. We plan on basing our map(and theming) off somewhere in America. This makes sense since this is a game and reasonable access to guns works with the theming of being in the land of the free.

7 Likes

I love this kind of UI, simple and clean. It’s perfect.

2 Likes

There’s a typo on the medical kit’s description. I would prefer if the UI background was black or dark, that way items and their slots would pop up more, I believe. Great job though!

1 Like

Oh thanks, I didn’t catch that lol. All displayed items are currently just typed out json that I import to render. And yeah, a dark background might absolutely be a possibility. Because we have now switched over to Sass changing something is a breeze. I’ll be trying out a few different color profiles and there’s a high likelyhood that we’ll have multiple themes to pick and choose from.

1 Like

Personalizing UI even if it’s just colors would be great for a RP game I suppose.

@Kyominii I wasn’t asking for it, but I’m just saying that yes, it’d be cool I guess, especially for RP. Initially all I suggested was for the background to be darker for everyone.

2 Likes

that means what you are asking I think

1 Like

I’m confused. What I mean is since we’re using Sass now changing any variable is very easy since instead of having to manually change colors I have them all stored in a unified document for variables.

2 Likes

I should take more time to answer on this forum, I’m sorry.

That’s what I meant: that he can change the colours quite easily with Sass(variable mechanism). I’m really sorry if I confused you.

1 Like

Mini Developer Update 2021-04-27

Been working on a “System App” UI for apps that are ‘native’ to the operative system(calling, messaging, settings etc). This is the call app:

Opinions?

4 Likes

I’d rather have messaging happen on a different app altogether so you can see how many conversations and unread messages you have at a glance. Unless that’ll also exist and this is another way of messaging someone that would then open the messaging app, in that case ignore this. For calling that’s fine.

1 Like

We already have made a separate messaging app with all conversations shown, just haven’t completed it yet so can’t publize yet. Those messaging buttons are just another way just like you can go to message when you’re in the call app on your phone. More to come!

2 Likes

Mini Developer Update 2021-04-28

Message conversation. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Developer Update #3

Hey guys! It’s been quite a while. I’ve been busy with final exams but I thought I’d still give you guys an update. It’s not as long as they normally are but that’s frankly mainly cause we haven’t been able to do too much. More on that in a bit.

Map

We’ve added another mapper to our team that is experienced with making great road layouts and I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to show something for it soon.

Assets

With mapping comes map assets, and that is something we’ve begun working on as well. We’ve got a few very talented artists who are helping with the assets (and I’m trying as well even tho I left modelling a looooong time ago). I think later this week or next week I’ll be showing some of the progress we’ve been gotten done in this department as well.

Prototype System

I’ve been doing some quite extensive on our prototype for the character system and it has worked quite well. Everything seems to be in order ready to hook it into the UI once we get access. I’m also starting work on the crafting bit of the inventory system. We’ve got a general idea of approximately how it should work but there are a few technical hurdles to get over. We want a system that is dynamic and advanced yet intuitive so it’ll be a challenge but a fun one at that.

Waiting for access

The struggle of coding without access has been real and unfortunately we’ve been starting to run out of stuff that we can do without access. Obviously there are certain things we can do, mainly by mimicing S&box thru Unity, but it’s definetely not the same thing. Unfortunately there’s not much we can do either than just wait, either until we get blessed with access or until the game releases, which would be very bad for the project, but it is how it is.

4 Likes

Mini Developer Update 2021-05-30

Spent the whole last week refactoring the whole base of our property system. With our property system, we can now have a dynamic key-value store of any type that can retrieve both directly from the game entity and the template it inherits from (such as first checking for a damage property on an item and then going to its item property such as a standard Glock 18 and getting it from there). This refactoring was a long time coming but I didn’t realize how much of a difference it made. Together with a newly implemented PropertyType system we can now both get the type of data and the key that stores it directly from a static property, meaning getting a specific piece of data is as easy as doing this for value types

GetValue<int>("Damage")

or

GetValue(PropertyTypes.Damage)

and this for reference types

GetValueRef<Guid>("Fingerprint")

or

GetValueRef(PropertyTypes.Fingerprint)

When using the PropertyType system the type is automatically inferred. The reason for having to have 2 separate functions for value types/structs and reference types are because of how C# handles nullability. I’m not gonna explain it here extensively but summarized basically nullability is handled quite differently between value types and reference types. Using the constraint notnull doesn’t work when you want the value type to not be null because it doesn’t know how it can return a nullable version of that notnull parameter since they’re handled differently. As such they had to be split up into two different functions, even tho their code is identical(other than the constraints, the value one having a struct constraint and the other one having a class constraint).

2 Likes

Mini Developer Update 2021-09-02

Wow, it’s been a long while hasn’t it? No this project is not dead, in fact it is very much alive. Under the surface we’ve been recruiting people, planning and scheming for our super villain hero plan. Anyways, the big news is that we’ve finally started to gain access to S&box so the actual work on the gamemode is starting. It’s been a while but I’m very hyped for the fact that we can actually start work on the gamemode. I’ll be updating here again regularly and I hope we’ll soon have cool things to share.

'til we meet again, so long!

4 Likes