'cl_init.lua' refuses to download to client

I’ve spent the better part of today researching this with no success. I’m relatively new to LUA, but I’ve been coding for years, so I understand the concept of stupid-user error.

I’m trying to create a gamemode. Right now- the absolute simplest one that can initiate without errors.

I have created a fresh, vanilla copy of GarrysModDS, and inside, I have carefully followed the Wiki’s basic guide to creating a gamemode. My goal is to have the gamemode use as little as possible so I can build off of it. In single-player, everything works fine. When I spawn, I can literally do nothing besides walk/run around and see my HP. That’s exactly what I want. But I have essentially the exact same gamemode code on my server, and it doesn’t behave the same way.

First, as a little disclaimer, I am a very sentimental person. With that said, my gamemode is named after a fine lady I recently met. To avoid further embarrassment for me, her temporary gamemode name is changed to <gm> for the sake of showing you the code used.

Now, let me give you a tour of the gamemode.

Directory Structure
These are the only files I am using.

gamemodes\<gm>rp\

gamemodes\<gm>rp\<gm>rp.txt

gamemodes\<gm>rp\gamemode\

gamemodes\<gm>rp\gamemode\cl_init.lua

gamemodes\<gm>rp\gamemode\init.lua

gamemodes\<gm>rp\gamemode\shared.lua

File Contents

rp.txt

"<gm>rp"
{
	"base" ""
	"title"	"Totally not her name"
}

cl_init.lua
[lua]include( “shared.lua” )[/lua]

init.lua
[lua]
AddCSLuaFile( “cl_init.lua” )
AddCSLuaFile( “shared.lua” )

include( “shared.lua” )
[/lua]

shared.lua
[lua]
GM.Name = " RP"
GM.Author = “Not Schmal”
GM.Email = “fgt@schmal.me
GM.Website = “http://www.sentimentalfgts.org/

function GM:Initialize()

end
[/lua]

Config Files
Non-LUA assets that might be relevant

initialize.cmd .bat files are for pussies, like me, but I still use .cmd

srcds.exe -console -condebug -game garrysmod +maxplayers 12 +hostport 27016 +fps_max 100 +map rp_evocity_v2d +sv_gamemode "<gm>rp" +sv_defaultgamemode "<gm>rp" +ip 123.456.789.101 +r_hunkalloclightmaps 0 -tickrate 33

server.cfg

// all commands
gamemode "<gm>rp"

Now, the error I’m getting when the player spawns is:

Couldn't include file '<gm>rp\gamemode\cl_init.lua' (File not found) ((nowhere))

Then, relating to the first error, I get:

Couldn't Load Init Script: '<gm>rp\gamemode\cl_init.lua'

I feel like this should be some stupid thing that I’m forgetting, but I honestly cannot find the solution anywhere. Changing the gamemode to sandbox or base works just fine without errors. In-fact, copying the actual base gamemode and renaming the assets to a new name doesn’t work either. It’s very bizarre. If anyone can figure out the problem, I’ll buy you coffee.

Thanks.

You don’t need those: +sv_gamemode “<gm>rp” +sv_defaultgamemode “<gm>rp”
just put gamemode <name> in server.cfg OR +gamemode <name> in command line options

On topic, your cl_init.lua most likely have an error.

[editline]25th June 2013[/editline]

You can also try to remove < and > from the folder names

+gamemode “name” in the launch options did the trick. You didn’t read the other stuff about the <gm>, but that’s okay. I owe you a coffee, good sir.