Colonies - Your Very own headcrab Colony!

Latest Version
http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=73575

Thanks To:

• Namelezz - Idea + Logo
  • Overv - Fixing some bugs

ChangeLog

V1.4
-fixed offspring being in wrong colony 
V1.3
- Fixed colony members not wanting to eat melons! - thanks Overv
- Added Factions - Different factions will now fight each other
-Fixed "Colonies" being added to sv_tags more than once.

V1.2a
- co_headcrab_cuddlyzombie: zombies spawned by headcrabs won't hate players
- Fixed limits on population

V1.2
- co_headcrab_tozombie: Killed Citizens turn into zombies (normal + fast)
- co_spreadthelove: antlions and headcrabs don't hate eachother

V1.1b
-Added "colonies" to sv_tags
-Added "co_*_hateplayers" convar to make headcrabs/antlions hate players.

V1.1a
-Fixed (?) Headcrab Eggs and Headcrabs spawning underneath displacments
-Changed from os.time() to CurTime()

V1.1
-Added Watermelon Plant
-Added "co_printevents" convar to stop "Headcrab x died of hunger"
-Added more names
-Added "co_headcrab_searchrad" - Maximum search distance for food
V1. 
-Initial Release

About Colonies
This started as an addon a long time ago when someone asked me to re-create the colonies mod from GMod9. However I lost interest due to a failure of my Lua skillz.

However recently I decided to get off my ass and finish it, and it was pretty much finished in a few days.

Omg Wut Is dis about?
This Mod lets you create your own little colony of headcrabs (and Antlions! :3). Simply spawn a Headcrab or Antlion egg (Or If you’re a lazy prick, spawn a Headcrab or Antlion) from the Entites tab, and In no time you’ll have your own colony. Of course, don’t forget to feed them or you’ll have a load of corpses lying around - and you don’t want that now do you.

Useful ConVars
There are several convars you can use to change how the mod behaves/colonies work

co_printevents - if set to 0 it won't print "Headcrab X died of Y"
co_spreadthelove - Antlion and headcrab colonies won't hate eachother
co_factionmode - if set to 1, each colony member has a faction and will attack other colony members who don't have the same faction

co_watermelon_time - the time between each new watermelon (for watermelon plant)
co_watermelon_distance - the maximum distance a watermelon can spawn from a plant
co_watermelon_max - the maximum number of watermelons

These convars affect Headcrabs, and also work if you use co_antlion_*

co_headcrab_lifetime - the time it takes the headcrab to die.
co_headcrab_hunger - the headcrabs hunger goes up by this ammount every second
co_headcrab_eggtime - how long it takes a headcrab egg to hatch
co_headcrab_maturetime - How long it takes a headcrab to mature
co_headcrab_pregtime - time between each egg
co_headcrab_max - the maximum ammount of headcrabs before they stop laying eggs
co_headcrab_hateplayers - do headcrabs hate players.
co_headcrab_tozombie - headcrab kills will turn into zombies.
co_headcrab_cuddlyzombie - killed zombies will be friendly

Pictures
Here are some screenshots for the impatient
This is John

John Likes watermelons

John eats watermelons

John Laid an egg! :o

Meet David :expressionless:

FAQ
Q: My Headcrabs/Antlions don’t do anything, they just attack me
Spawn them from the Entities tab, not the NPCs tab.

Q: Why do they just disappear when they die?
Because when “Keep Corpses” is enabled, bad things happen.

I want eet nao!
http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=73575

Don’t forget to tell me about any bugs :c

Omg this is … cool, =D can u do this with other NPC’s as well ^^?

I will test this when I can be arsed ;v

do they eat meat? (combine?) i think they should be able to collect resources and build a little house or village ^^ is that even possible?

Not really. They used to turn combine they killed into zombies, but I lost the script somewhere.

Ah thats a shame, im gona have a go at this in a sec. like your logo by the way lol. Its… original?

It’s very fun to watch them multiply and multiply.

ive come across 2 silly little problems, 1. when two headcrabs have a baby they seem to ‘spawn’ into the floor every now and again, and 2. (this made me laugh alot) a headcrab jumped onto a water melon, which rolled off killing the hungry headcrab

Edit: I need a melon tree ^^ they breed soo fast =o i cant keep spawning them food >.<

Good Idea actually… I’ll make a Watermelon plant

Dude, this is awesome, it reminds me of ants lol.

is it this? http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=42218

No.

Added New version, Added Watermelon plant :smiley:

what about thirst and rest

It would be cool if the watermelon plant like grew into more or something. I duno.
But yeah sometimes when they hop up on a watermelon to eat it it kills them. Addicting addon, though, I hope you expand it.

Are the Lifetime,Eggtime,Pregtime and Maturetime convars in how many ages or seconds or minutes?

Life time etc are in seconds,

Is it normal for the headcrabs to kill themselves with watermelons? (prop kill)

edit: also

NPC npc_headcrab_black stuck in wall--level design error at (-762.42 -1011.72 -95025.15)
NPC npc_headcrab_black stuck in wall--level design error at (-831.15 -984.26 -92458.44)
NPC npc_headcrab stuck in wall--level design error at (-184.60 -726.28 -92492.92)
NPC npc_headcrab_fast stuck in wall--level design error at (373.59 -837.77 -95604.07)
NPC npc_headcrab stuck in wall--level design error at (-885.70 -1815.06 -77478.96)
NPC npc_headcrab_fast stuck in wall--level design error at (-814.08 -1347.54 -166222.03)
NPC npc_headcrab_fast stuck in wall--level design error at (-310.28 -851.64 -89560.92)
NPC npc_headcrab_fast stuck in wall--level design error at (797.06 -986.40 -91968.98)
NPC npc_headcrab_black stuck in wall--level design error at (148.99 -755.42 -92189.76)
NPC npc_headcrab_black stuck in wall--level design error at (157.35 -1184.76 -77782.29)
NPC npc_headcrab_black stuck in wall--level design error at (73.87 -1177.03 -90831.84)
NPC npc_headcrab stuck in wall--level design error at (489.04 -1125.41 -90710.98)
NPC npc_headcrab_black stuck in wall--level design error at (-154.80 -850.50 -93444.70)
NPC npc_headcrab_fast stuck in wall--level design error at (-17.32 -1401.46 -80218.26)
NPC npc_headcrab stuck in wall--level design error at (-873.09 -1038.98 -141.88)

edit 2:
Head crabs killing themselves with food is actually a pretty good form of natural selection :stuck_out_tongue:

This is awesome!

This mod is made of complete awesomeness.

For loads of fun, use Kogitsune’s Player Resizer tool to make yourself tiny and live with the headcrabs :smiley:

Not when an entire Colony kills itself on the same goddamn Watermelon xD
Got my Download. Wanna watch Headcrabs Commit Seppku on my turret-rigged melonz >:3

New Version, Headcrabs should spawn above displacements and things now.