Computer freezes and requires complete shutdown

MSI Apache GE62
Nvidia GTX960M 2 GB VRAM
Intel I7 5700HQ 2.7 Ghz processor
12 GB Ram
M.2 SATA SSD + HDD

I am running Rust via Steam on “fastest” graphics and yet after only 2 minutes of gameplay (not even enough to move two feet or mine a rock) I encounter small lag in my movements which quickly progresses to my entire computer hitting a roadblock and freezing. The audio still works and I still see the screen except I can’t move, Alt tab or cntrl alt delete. Essentially, the only way to use my computer after attempting to play Rust is a full reboot. I’ve played this game since 2014 and have never encountered an issue until this last month. This is ridiculous, please help.

Same here.

Except I don’t “encounter small lag in my movements”. One second everything is great, 60+ fps, then bam! Total freeze.

F2 what is your GPU in game?

Alright I fixed it on mine, the problem is that an xbox app process (DVR Broadcast Server) would shoot the RAM and Disk Usage up to 100% and since Rust is already pushing the limits it was enough.

Dougems: Try opening the Xbox app, go to settings and turning off the DVR Broadcast Server. After that you have to use task manager to shut the application down and you should be able to play

The combination of these 3 settings have worked for me a few times now:

1. Launching Rust with DX9
  2. Running in Windowed mode
  3. Graphics quality “Fastest” or “Fast”

FWIW, Machine specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3 (Socket 1156)
PX2710MW (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA)