Connection timed out - every server

Hi everyone,

I’ve been playing Rust (experimental) now for about 1,5 month, never had any real problems until 2 weeks ago when all of the sudden I couldn’t stay connected to any server anymore.
Just came back from vacation and after updating I tried again, but still the same problem. About 20 sec after logging in: Connection timed out. Same thing every server I try. In the console there are no messages. Only thing I found was in the networking section of the console; after joining a server the receiving and sending bytes come and go without problems. But after about 5-10 sec the sending just stops, it freezes completely. Still incoming bytes keep coming and then the disconnect comes after another 10-15 sec.
What I’ve tried so far:

• Reboot
  • Run as administrator
  • Verify game cache
  • Disable windows firewall
  • Open all required (Steam) ports in router

Any help much appreciated.

Old Rust works fine by the way

Update:
After the update of March 5th the problem changed. No more disconnect but instead immediatly after joining a server: 100% packet loss. 0 packets being sent, only received.
Now with the latest patch (April 9) same as before (100% packet loss 2 sec after joining any server), but after a while Disconnected: Unresponsive

With connection via a VPN there are no problems.
Tried:
-disable router firewall
-router factory reset

I have this exact problem. I first occurred for me several months ago. I had to stop playing completely for a month or more. When I returned it worked again. Now, it’s back and again I can’t play. It’s been this way for the last 2-3 weeks.

http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1448520

[editline]1st February 2015[/editline]

Good luck getting any help :slight_smile:

[editline]1st February 2015[/editline]

PS. I submitted a support ticket with facepunch but I am yet to hear anything back.

Any news Snuke?

Still same problem…
But good to see im not alone though :wink: Nothing from support yet?

Nothing yet. Maybe you could submit a ticket as well?

I was having this issue and it was due to my ROUTER’s firewall. Enter your router settings and disable the firewall there. I did this about 3 weeks ago and haven’t had one problem since.

Thanks Freshguess. I tried what you said with no joy. Luckily though support have replied to my question. Might be on the way towards getting it fixed.

btw, is it safe to disable your firewalls like that?

No luck here either with disabling firewall. Lets hope they fix it soon then!

No change here with the latest patch…

Same here. Have not heard back from support yet either.

After the update of March 5th the problem changed. No more disconnect but instead immediatly after joining a server: 100% packet loss. 0 packets being sent, only received.
Now with the latest patch (April 9) same as before (100% packet loss 2 sec after joining any server), but after a while Disconnected: Unresponsive

With connection via a VPN there are no problems.
Tried:
-disable router firewall
-router factory reset

6 months later and still the problem continues, after various days on the phone with my ISP and after running pings and tracerts they say the problem is not with them but with the server(s)…
Seriously considering changing ISP, as game developers don’t seem to give any acknowledgement of the problem anywhere.

I just recently got this problem. Maybe a week back at most.