Converting original Metroid Prime maps.

I would like to convert maps (If you could call them maps) from a game titled “Metroid Prime” from the gamecube.

How would I achieve this? Take note that I have no experience at all whatsoever with steamSDK, or scripting.

Also, there has been rumors of this game running on Unreal Engine 2. Just if it helps…

You’ve pretty much just stated a complete impossibility.

You would have to get textures/models that look like what you want and then make a map with Hammer **from scratch **that resembles what you want to have.

Well, I’ve been on TF2 Servers with Mario maps. Both from the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube (Specifically a map from mario sunshine, and Bob-omb battlefield). All the textures were absolutely perfect, it looked li- NO it WAS the literal map. Are you sure?

Those were made in Hammer as mimics. You can’t just copy over a map from one engine to another.

So they would have to literally look at the maps side by side and try their best to re-create it?

Well… it depends.

For having the original Metroid maps in Source i’d say it’s close to impossible.
Source engine uses Brushwork for the majority of the map geometry while in the Prime games they use Models created in a 3d app. to build the maps.

Even if you had 3d data of these maps, i’d rather put them into UDK or Unity because these Engines are much more model based.

How to get the maps from the prime games you might ask.

Textures won’t be the problem, Dolphin dumps them just fine, with only a few minor exceptions.
But the real issue is getting the 3d data.
DX Ripper only rips the visible parts of a room, the rest is culled by the engine.
Taking several captures from variouse locations and assembling them in a 3d app is a pain in the ass and leaves you with a nearly unusable mesh, unless you put in hundreds of hours fixing the geometry.

Seriosly, you’re better off with recreating the rooms by using the ripped models only as a reference.

The only alternative i could think of is the MPXviewer, but this tool never worked for me.

I like a guy who knows what he is talking about :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, I don’t understand what Brushwork is.
I am fine with just re-creating the maps from scratch. I have way too much time on my hands anyway.

It’s going to be really fun on scripting a arm cannon. Especially when I don’t know how to script…

Brushwork = Level geometry created with the Brush-Tool in Hammer.

IMO the UE3 would be a far more suitable Engine for recreating Prime Worlds.

Belive me, I’ve tried to recreate a few rooms of Prime in Hammer and they’re far more detailed then i thought at the beginning.

Since there are no lightmapped props in Source, it won’t be possible to use Models for the rooms instead.
Also Level Streaming would be required at some point, another thing that isn’t possible in Source AFAIK.

Scripting with Unreal isn’t easy either but even someone like me (I’m not a programmer at all), achived a few basic things there.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/no02c15r6by4a1n/MO_test01.avi

Armcannon, Morphball Model, AC animations and coding by me, except for the morphball implementation which was coded by Cheesemoo0.

There even was a more advanced Version with the 4 basic beams including gun morphs, rocket launcher animation, temporary Visor model etc.
But i never made a Video of it, some of the code broke during the transition to a newer UDK Release and i haven’t had the time/patience to fix it.

Dang. Nice Vid.
Plan on getting anywhere else with the metroid stuff?

I was talking with some people on a VSH server on Team Fortress 2 ( Which is also a Source Game ) and some were telling me that they have seen Metroid Prime maps on other VSH servers… And that eventually drove me to creating this thread…

I don’t know anything about Metroid maps in TF2, but i found the Mario Sunshine thread:
http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1192338

The issue with the Prime games is that they do not use the regular Dev Tools and file formats.
Bresviewer won’t work on them. (Other M models are viewable with bresviwer though)

As for the UDK stuff, i’d really like to continue that project, but without a good unreal script coder it’s not possible for me.
I’d rather invest my time in creating 3D models then messing with code.

Since the aim is to not use any ripped content in the game, there’s plently of stuff to do.

“Since the aim is to not use any ripped content in the game, there’s plently of stuff to do.”
Why?

Would you suggest using Unreal Engine 3 or something to experiment with Metroid stuff?

Q1: why not using any ripped content?

You could also ask why drawing a Fan-Art instead of using a photo-copier to copy an artwork.
Also chances for getting a C&D are much higher when “stealing” original game content.
The educational effect is much bigger compared to going the quick and easy way of ripped content.

And last but not least it’s possible to put in your own creativity if you’re creating something.

Hard to find a good example because i didn’t upload much of the stuff to the web…

Maybe this here:

Remember the hatch doors in prime 1:

Here’s a WIP preview of what i made:

Ain’t got a pic of the final version up, but this one is allmost ready:

Had it ingame animated and with colored door shields.

A Prime 3 inspired Hatch door:

and one that is more like Super Metroid:

used here:

(btw: still in source engine)

Q2: would you recomend UDK for experimenting with Metroid stuff?

I’d say it depends on what you’re trying to do.
If you just wanna toy arround with some Ragdolls, GMOD or SFM will do.

Allthough sometimes the content pipeline of source can be a pain… (especially when Valve fucks up the tools with an SDK update)
Export to smd, write a .qc, compile model, convert texture to vtf, write a vmt and place both in the right folder…

Most other engines (e.g. UDK and Unity) offer a far more streamlined file import that also uses common formats such as fbx, tga, psd… .
On the programming side (remember i’m not a programmer), i’d say UnrealScript is easier and more accessable for newbies then coding in C#/C++.
At least i was able to do a few things with UnrealScript while in Source or Unity i wouldn’t even know where to start.

Working with materials is really cool in UDK, thanks to the material editor that’s using a node based system.
Unity doesn’t have this by default but there are plugins in the unity store.

Still when it comes to BSP, Source’s Hammer is my favorite tool.

“I’d say it depends on what you’re trying to do.”
I wan’t to literally copy everything from the original game/Recreate it
Maybe you could think about it as… Metroid Prime : Source HD

Also, I’m not developer-literate when it comes to C++, weird file extentions and such. I have no experience at creating code at all whatsoever. And I can only understand it if things are extremely organized and there is a note for every line. (For example, editing jobs for the DarkRP gamemode in Garry’smod.

Also, since there is no level streaming, does that mean that every different room I enter, the entire game would have to stop and load basically another map?

[editline]12th December 2013[/editline]

“I’d say it depends on what you’re trying to do.”
I wan’t to literally copy everything from the original game/Recreate it
Maybe you could think about it as… Metroid Prime : Source HD

Also, I’m not developer-literate when it comes to C++, weird file extentions and such. I have no experience at creating code at all whatsoever. And I can only understand it if things are extremely organized and there is a note for every line. (For example, editing jobs for the DarkRP gamemode in Garry’smod)

Also, since there is no level streaming, does that mean that every individual room I enter, the entire game would have to stop and basically load a hole other map?

eh… I posted the same thing 2 time… can’t delete it >:(

I meant “eh… I posted the same thing 2 time… can’t delete it >:(” to be a seperate post.
What the freak?

This is embarrassing…

If you only want Metroid Prime HD, you could run it with Dolphin on a strong PC.
On my Desktop PC it runs allmost flawless when using the right settings.

Beside that, copy everything from the original game will not exactly make it a HD Game.
It’s still the lowres Textures and models of the original, with only a higher screen resolution that makes all the lowres things much more noticable.

You’d have a far better result by creating a HD Texture pack for Dolphin instead of using the same lowres stuff in another engine.

Don’t get me wrong, i like the Prime games and Retro did an awesome job on everything including visuals.
But they also had to face a few tough hardware restrictions especially texture wise.

As for Level Streaming, i know UDK/UE3 is able to do it and AFAIK Source doesn’t support it by default.
This means a game in the size of Prime would need some level loading.
Not every room on it’s own, but i doubt that all “levels” will fit into the hammer world space.

“You’d have a far better result by creating a HD Texture pack for Dolphin instead of using the same lowres stuff in another engine.”

Well I could find some pixel art dudes to help me out on that… for every… singe… individual texture Gulp (Wow, that might be it’s own project)

Also, my computer is the Dell Optiplex 780 (just that normal office pc)
A Intel Core 2 duo E7500 (2.93 GHz)
with a ancient MSI GeForce GT 240 with 1 GB of GDDR5 RAM.
I can run at like 5 - 13 fps on the outside of Frigate Orpheon. And trust me, tweaking settings won’t do me any better.

Could… I use Unity for recreating anything like metroid?

Btw, I could make metroid prime “HD” more demanding than crysis.
Imagine, every texture at 1920x1200 and above, adding polygons to things that look jaggid, Using FLAC files for all sound/music. hehe

You know I think this thread has gone far enough… I don’t think I have the power to completely get rid of threads.
Thank you for the infromation :3

Correct, this would be a own project. But there are allready other similar projects like the Xenoblade HD Texture Project.
I’ve also done some experiments with Prime 1 textures:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5051/mp1sdhd.jpg
Once i uploaded this image in a much higher quality but imageshack must have resized it at some point. Ignore the blue ship texture, that was just an initial test if modified textures are loaded at all.
Still, you can see more detailed water and plant textures, the rest more or less got lost by the resizing.

Thats indeed much to low for running most Dolphin emulated games, but like i said, on a “strong PC”

Unity is a powerfull engine, surely it could be used to create something like this.
But you have to keep in mind that Metroid Prime was created by a Team of some very skilled ppl who took years to complete it.
For a single person, even if he/she is at pro-level in every aspect of game development, this would take much longer.
So rather start smaller. Especially since you mentioned that you’re a beginner.

Focus on one aspect of game development and learn it till you reach at least advanced level then combine your skill with other ppl on a project.
I’d also recomend to join an existing team at first, rather then trying to form a own team, because if you run your own team you’ll have a lot of
additional managing tasks that eat up your time and prevent you from actually doing stuff on the project.

It’s not exactly difficult to make something more demanding, the true challenge is to find a good balance between visuals and performance.

It’s funny you know… Why would I emulate the game If I own an actual Gamecube with the actual game? It’s just fun I guess…

• If I played the GC version of Metroid Prime on the Nintendo Wii, would the game perform/look better? Even if it had high-quality video output cables?

• Does Metroid Prime support 5.1 Surround Sound?

• Is there already a development team out there doing something with the original Metroid Prime? I would love to join in on the fun.

• I heard that the Gamecube’s graphics card has some 3D potential (U know, like 3d glasses sort of thing) Is this true?

• If the Gamecube only runs at about 485 MHz, then how come my processor that runs at about 3000 MHz, and is Dual core cannot run the game perfectly? Is it the differences in architecture or something?

• How would one auxiliary cable with 2 "lines’ on it carry 5.1 Surround sound? Or does it not?

• Look how far people get with the Halo engine… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgANxFPmSQ

• Is it possible to burn my own Gamecube games? Or do I need to do some hacking for this?

• Is there a hack where you can FORCE the gamecube to run at a 1080p or above resolution? It seems emulators can do this just fine…

Nah seriously… things are off topic. I don’t think there is a way to get rid of threads.

I emulate Gamecube games for several reasons.

1. i’d like to see how good or bad the emulation runs on my system
  2. i want the old games running in HD resolution
  3. i wanna toy arround with their content, e.g. changing textures

Gamecube and Wii were using very unique graphic routines called TEV.
Esentially they do the same stuff shaders do, but quit different.
Emulating certain effects still slow down even on the fastest computers.
In Metroid Prime it’s the refraction effect e.g. when rain hits the visor, or active force fields are on screen.

Gamecube and Wii had Prologic2, no real 5.1 sound.

I know that there was a Halo CE project that tried to bring Metroid Prime look and feel to Halo CE.
Got involved with them shortly before Seraphim (the project leader) decided to say goodbye to the Project because of new real life duties (woman, child & job).

Tried to reformate a team to continue the project on another Engine.
At first Source, but without a relyable C++ coder, it wasn’t possible.
Then changed to UDK, which i still think would be the best engine for such a Project,
but still a Unreal Script programmer would be necessary.

So for now the Project is put on hold.

No there’s no way to force the original Gamecube to run at 1080p.
That’s one of the reasons why ppl do emulation.
The US Cube is able to use Prologic Scan (component cable) on some games like Metroid Prime, but this gives you a 480p signal i think.

WiiU is able to do Upscaling of Wii games (e.g. Metroid Prime Trilogy) to 1080p.
The native resolution of the game still is at 480p, but usually the WiiU upscaler does a far better job then the upscaling chip in any HD TV, which results in better contrast and colors.

You’ll still see jagged edges caused by the lower resolution of the source material, but compared to an analoge component or even AV input signal it’s still far superior.

PS: you shouldn’t ask for possibilities to burn GC games here on this Forum (i guess you mean creating images of your game disks that are compatible with the emulators), ask google instead.