Cooking/Smelting Tricks n' Tips

So, I have been messing around with the campfire mechanics and I can’t seem to pin point how to properly cook and smelt resources, every time. Seems a little intermittent. Anyone sense this? Or have you found a way to have the items refined, without fault?

i agree

What do you mean? Like the timing between each ‘smelt’? I just put the shit in the fire and ignite it then wait around.

— Empty campfire
— Place chicken item in campfire
— Place wood item in campfire
— Ignite campfire
— Chicken does not cook, charcoal is produced, wood item is used

Starting next test.

[editline]29th June 2013[/editline]

Specifically, how to smelt each item without fail. I seem to be using the wood in each attempt without smelting.

(Not first time playing, just wanted to start a thread to properly document and find the true way.)

[editline]29th June 2013[/editline]

— Empty campfire
— Place wood item in campfire
— Place chicken item in campfire
— Ignite campfire
— Chicken does not cook, charcoal is produced, wood item is used

Starting next test.

I’ve found that things only cook if they’re in the same row/column as the wood, so for example this is how I setup my campfires, with the wood in the top left corner, and the items I wish to smelt along the top row, and the left column, with their produce ending up in the remaining slots.

[editline]30th June 2013[/editline]

Although, for some reason, the left column only cooks if there’s something in the top row along with the wood, it’s like a conditional, if there’s something in the top row, then the left column will cook. It’s extremely weird how it works.

It is a strange system. Thank you so much for this. I was testing based on the order of how I placed items in it, not the location. You rock man. If anyone can add to this, or continue to research it, keep this thread bookmarked and in mind. It will be extremely useful later.

you dont even know how you helped me :smiley:

ah, I just always put what I needed to smelt there. Didn’t know the mechanics of it, thanks for the info.