This is another compilation of cool looking effects (that anyone can do), and I figured [BLOCK 2] would be an interesting sounding name for a sequel. My ultimate goal is for these effects to appear in comics and screenshots (maybe even videos). Anyways,
THE ORIGINAL: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=845146
The first one, I call “The infosphere”, named after an answering machine I saw a while back:
This one pretty much consists of a large panel suspended from the ceiling on an axis constraint. Suspended from that are about a dozen rods with lights on them, each one having a trail. Nearly all of this is invisible. When it spins, the lights leave a series of circular trails. Something, or someone, can be put in the middle for dramatic effect. It can be rather finnicky to set up, though, but it gives an interesting cyberspace-ish look.
This next one I call “The Particle Accelerator”, because that’s what someone called it the first time I tried it on a server.
When you’re done (if you’re doing this in singleplayer), you can open one end, put dynamite at the other end, and blast everything out shotgun-style:
Anyways, setup is pretty basic:
- create a closed, partially transparent container
- spawn a small object, such as these tiles
- make them weightless
- duplicate these inside the container
- make them move by shooting them, putting dynamite inside, or pretty much anything
The effect is interesting, to say the least.
This next effect I call “Fireworks”, because that’s what they pretty much are. It’s one of the very first things I did in gmod 10, and I did it again for this:
Setup is rather simple but it takes a while
- spawn an explosive barrel
- spawn several soda cans, and give each one a different colored trail
- duplicate them and weld them to the barrel (DO NOT SMART WELD)
- give the barrel a thruster and dynamite mounted close to the center
- duplicate this construction several times
- launch them into the air and detonate when they are at the right altitude
Again, rather interesting.
This last effect I call “The Evolution of Patterns”, because that was the name of the video I saw it in:
Anyways, I can’t really show this effect that well with pictures, so here’s the video I saw it in. This video will also show how to make this effect (I DID NOT MAKE THIS VIDEO):
Here’s another video by the same guy:
I hope you have enjoyed this. If you know of any interesting special effects, feel free to post them here. Like I said earlier, my ultimate goal is for other people to use this in their work. Thanks for reading.