Cordon Tool: Hide those laggy contraptions!

[hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdw5bFH1Re0[/hd]

Cordon allows you to define cordons around other people’s contraptions (noclip not required, read on) to disable rendering of any props or entities inside. All you need to do is shoot two points opposite each other (at corners) from the contraption, and then you can adjust the height of the cordon just by looking up or down! Anything inside the cordon will ONLY be rendered when you’re in the cordon as well. With Inverse mode, the opposite effect applies when you’re in a cordon: Only cordoned entities will be rendered, and the rest is invisible. If you’d like to only render your current cordon, Exclusion mode does just that.

http://i.imgur.com/ieovNn7.png

I can see this having a lot of uses, building battlebots against another player and having them not render for him so he has no idea what to expect.

…i love you.

You’d have to use the honor system; cordons are clientside only.

You could force cordons on people, have a robot wars gamemode!
#ideathatiwontendupfinishing

Does the cordon stay in the specified spot or is it applied to the props inside of the defined area?

It stays in the specified position.

I think this tool needs cleanup button in tool or in client utilty->cleanup menu
Undo very buggy with that, and it’s sometimes deletes not all “cordons”.:zoid:

Get out of here, STALKER!

[ERROR] addons/cordon/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/cordon.lua:71: Tried to use a NULL entity!

1. GetClass - [C]:-1
  2. draw - addons/cordon/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/cordon.lua:71
    3. v - addons/cordon/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/cordon.lua:212
    4. unknown - lua/includes/modules/hook.lua:84

Line: if LocalPlayer():GetActiveWeapon():GetClass() == “gmod_tool” and GetConVarString(“gmod_toolmode”) == “cordon” then

I was doing some silly things with my character is why, but you need to add some checks to make sure GetActiveWeapon is valid.

I do a check for that on line 70. Are you sure you’re updated?

I did not, I checked your update notes before posting and didn’t see mention of it though.

But yea, it is fixed so never mind :slight_smile:

The buddy list idea for networking it to multiplayer would be kinda cool though if you’re after ideas.

Great idea! Inverted-mode clinched it for me: I’m adding this to a vehicle build server, but typically the sources of lag won’t stay still within one of these cordons :v:

is it possibal to attach one of these to a player … like as you move around or get closer to a contraption you see more, but as you get farther away you see less. Parent to the player

You’re looking for a farZ addon.

Do any Exist?

It’s a shame r_farz requires sv_cheats to be 1, it’s a great convar.