Create Mockup Building Designs with Google Sketchup

So I used google sketchup to make some basic models for the building design in this game. If any of you are interested in using them to make a quick mockup of your house or try out different designs easily, all you have to do is download sketchup and then download my pack that contains some of the basic models. The models contain the wall which can be used as a ceiling as well, a ramp, the staircase, the doorway/metal door.

I didn’t include pillars as they are not really necessary for the design process. If people want, I’ll try to add more models.

Anyways, you can download sketchup here.

Here is a pic of what it looks like.

Here is the pack with the Rust models I made.

Edited: New link now including Pillars

It only takes ~30 minutes to really learn how basic tools work you need to manipulate the objects, then your good to go.

Quick Tips for using the program

*If you want to copy an entire piece, like a wall. Click the cursor icon, highlight the entire piece, then just ctrl + c / ctrl + v.

*Then to make them move & snap together, have the item highlighted, click the ‘Move’ icon, then click on the corner of the model and snap it to any corner on another object.

*To rotate an object: Highlight the entire object, click the ‘Rotate’ icon, and depending on the direction you want to go, hover over the object and click and hold and drag the cursor until you see a solid Blue,Green,or Red icon, and then just click again and move your mouse in the direction you want to rotate. (The rotate feature is the only one that really can get annoying to do. Might take you a few tries to figure out all the orientations, just play with it you will get it :D)

*The ‘Pan’ icon allows you to move through the playground easily.

*You can also click and hold the scroll wheel to change your viewing angles.

*If you want to just copy the doorway without the metal door, click on the left side of the door, then shift-click the right side of the door, and you should be able to copy and paste it without the metal piece included.

Play around with some of the other icons. I’ll add more tips when I think of stuff.

Very nice. This will definitely be useful to both current rust players, and the players who don’t have rust yet. Gives a great opportunity to allow players to hone their base building skills. This good sir, deserves to be stickied!
Edit: Assuming everything is virus free of course. I haven’t downloaded it yet.

Thanks, I’m sure their are people who are a lot more skilled with sketchup than I am on these forums, so I’d recommend them making a more ‘professional’ version of this with better models. I can put more time into it and make better models if people really want it though. The version I posted should work just fine for most peoples needs.

I’ve never even heard of sketchup before, but it looks good, thanks for creating the models for it, will come in handy. Props to you Sir.

Tips for using this:

*If you want to copy an entire piece, like a wall. Click the cursor icon, highlight the entire piece, then just ctrl + c / ctrl + v.

*Then to make them move & snap together, have the item highlighted, click the ‘Move’ icon, then click on the corner of the model and snap it to any corner on another object.

*To rotate an object: Highlight the entire object, click the ‘Rotate’ icon, and depending on the direction you want to go, hover over the object and click and hold and drag the cursor until you see a solid Blue,Green,or Red icon, and then just click again and move your mouse in the direction you want to rotate. (The rotate feature is the only one that really can get annoying to do. Might take you a few tries to figure out all the orientations, just play with it you will get it :D)

*The ‘Pan’ icon allows you to move through the playground easily.

*You can also click and hold the scroll wheel to change your viewing angles.

*If you want to just copy the doorway without the metal door, click on the left side of the door, then shift-click the right side of the door, and you should be able to copy and paste it without the metal piece included.

The rest you should just play around with until you understand how it works.

Thanks alot, don’t have the game yet but this is really useful <3 u no homo :wink:

do you really need to add that?

you’d have to be really really stupid to think that “<3 u” in this context actually means “i love you and want to have gay anal sex with you”

Well when you love someone you tend to love them in all ways, I don’t want to go too deep into this but that’s just how it is

It doesn’t have to be anal to be a gay sexual act…just sayin’…

look i’m not trying to come up with a list of every possible sex act that could be interpreted as gay i’m just trying to make the point that “no homo” is pointless

I really hope no more users like this join seriously.

Why is this so upsetting for you? It’s a joke. Why don’t you come over here, sit in my lap, and chill the fuck out. No hetero.

You’re right. All the women should get back to the kitchen and the black folks should get back into the fields. Don’t worry, it’s just a joke. Can’t be offensive at all.

I don’t see how stating you’re not a homo could be offensive to anyone. I don’t collect stamps. Omg, I just insulted stamp collectors.

Alright supersnail I think that’s a little overboard. Its best to just ignore the cancer, not provoke it.

Because it implies that being gay is something bad. If I said “I just bought some stamps…no stamp collector”, that would be both a really stupid thing to say, and it would imply that being a stamp collector is something bad.

This thread did not go where I intended…LOL

Which it isn’t considering it’s a hobby of mine. I mean come on, there are stamps worth millions of dollars… literally.

im going to download it and try it out thanks

I see it more as a joke about not giving the wrong impression. I’m also a fan of non-sequitur humor, but to each their own. I just didn’t think it was worth complaining about, but zFugitive is right and we’re off topic.

So zFugitive, do you think you could add pillars? They do actually have some uses for grief control (you can stack them in the middle of a foundation to stop people from building roofs in an open area).