Created some Subway Station Tiles Materials for Source 2

hey guys

Lately I’ve taken a break from making maps and decided to try my hand at making custom material. At the moment I’ve only created 2 sets of subway station wall tiles but i like the way they turned out, so i decided to showcase them here.

subway_tile001a and subway_tile001b

subwaytile001a subwaytile001b

subway_tile002a and subway_tile002b

subwaytile002a subwaytile002b
One has a mosaic look to the tiles while the other one has 1 colour throughout. Made another version of them just in case i needed a more dirty look to the tiles, with barely any reflective gloss to it

Additional Renders

They are also Tintable!!!

And I’m not finished just yet

I’ve also created a blend texture to make it a bit more convenient

subwaytile001a_to_subwaytile002a subwaytile001b_to_subwaytile002b
Blending the textures in the editor gave it more of a wet look (pics in the Additional Renders dropdown), so the opacity needs to be lowered, the good thing was that it wasn’t too hard to set them up tbh

Additional Renders

A suprise to those who stuck to the end

I’ve provided a download to these materials below to use in your projects, one for the .vtex and the other the original 4K PBR. For the .vtex you just drop the Subway folder in your Half-Life Alyx/game/your_addons/materials folder and you will be able to use them, please DM if you guys have any troubles with installing them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z_TqjtvbQxRoQdC6jva4tpQXp4aN7PJq?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jxNJhD4yAzm4tYOP4FdfADvMMGqXVjJ0?usp=sharing

One more thing before I go, I made these materials using CC0 textures from Texture Haven and CC0textures, so i will also be classifying these materials I made as CC0, you guys can use them or re-edit them however you see fit, you don’t even need to provide me any credit (although it would be nice :blush:). I can’t wait to see what you guys make and hopefully I can make more materials because it was actually fun making them.

20 Likes

How did you get the coloring to work? Is it a feature specific to a single shader?

Because it looks pretty awesome!!!

4 Likes

For the shader i used the VR Complex and enabled the tint mask option, I then used the roughness material as the tint mask. There’re other shader options in the material editor that allow you to enable tint on but i used VR complex to enable other options such as the specular.

4 Likes

Oh hell yeah, just what i needed :smiley:

3 Likes

They look more like pool tiles to me.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: they do too

2 Likes

I know this is relatively simple but, I love it. Thanks for uploading them!

3 Likes

What program do you use to make those textures :monkey:

3 Likes

I use a program called Quixel Mixer. It’s a free to use texturing program

2 Likes

Ooo~
Thanks, Will try it latter for my maps

3 Likes

Currently creating another tile set

I’m not sure about the indented and the extruded tiles, also i feel like this texture is missing something to it, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

Make mised tiles smaller like 1-3/4,
4/4 looks weird

4 Likes

demn dude, looks sick :smiley: can you make somes versions with more dirt or have a more apocalyps feeling on them please ? I’ll surely use thoses ^^

4 Likes

my files got corrupted, I’m gonna take a break from texturing and try again another day

3 Likes

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Your work so far has been superb, so I hope you’re able to chin up and find inspiration again in the future to make more awesome stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks man, I really needed that :blush:

2 Likes

Oh, I love these!

1 Like