Creating a DarkRP server. The Complete Guide.

So I’ve gotten rather sick of all the people who have no idea how to set up a server to run with DarkRP, as a result I am going to attempt to create an idiot proof guide to setting one up.

Before I get started I will state that a lot of this is derived from (or even right out copied from) the “dedicated Server Setup” page on the Garry’s Mod Wiki.

1: Install hldsupdatetool

Download from:

During the install change the destination folder to “C:\srcds”. The reason you do this is because when troubleshooting or following any other tutorials this is the folder that will be referred to. So this is to prevent further confusion. Leave everything else in the install untouched.

Now we need to open a CMD window. To do this click your Start Menu. It should be located in

“All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt”. For those of you who are a little more computer savy open “Run…” type “cmd” and press enter.

Type the following once the CMD window is open:

Wait for it to finish. It won’t really say that it is finished. If you give it about two minutes and it’s stopped doing anything it probably is. Press enter and you should see just:

Do NOT close the CMD window.

2: Install Garry’s Mod Files

Type:

This will download all the Garry’s Mod files. This will take awhile but it does show the percentage.

3: Install Counter-Strike: Source Files

Type:

Once again this will show a percentage. Wait till it is done, then open Windows Explorer.

Navigate to your “C:\srcds” folder. Cut the “C:\srcds\cstrike” folder and paste it inside of “C:\srcds\orangebox”. You do this because otherwise your server will not be able to properly use Counter-Strike content.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD:
I haven’t tested this myself but theoretically it should work. In the CMD window instead type:

If someone could confirm this works I’ll replace the method I know works with these instructions.

4 (OPTIONAL): Install Half-Life: Episode 2 and/or Portal Files

For this I’ll refer you to another tutorial that did a great job telling me how to install the extra content. If you only want EP2 content then just ignore instructions about Portal, or vice versa.

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=480444

5: Installing the latest version of DarkRP with TortoiseSVN

If you haven’t already you can close the CMD window now. TortoiseSVN is a program which will update addons that have an SVN repository to their latest version. First thing you’ll want to do is download, install, and restart your computer. Here is the download page:

In this tutorial I will only show how to install the SVN versions of both the DarkRP folders. If you want SVN versions of other addons, just search for tutorials on those, they are not uncommon.

Go to your “C:\srcds\orangebox\garrysmod\addons” folder. Right-click, “New > Folder”, name it “Simple RP Prop Protection”. Right-click the folder you just made and click “SVN Checkout…” In the text box that says “URL of repository” enter this:

After that is finished it will say “Completed At revision: #”. Now go to your “C:\srcds\orangebox\garrysmod\gamemodes” folder. Create another folder and name it “DarkRP”. Right-click the folder you just made and click “SVN Checkout…” In the text box that says “URL of repository” enter this:

Once that is finished you are done installing the DarkRP gamemode.

6: Editing server.cfg and autoexec.cfg

Go to your “C:\srcds\orangebox\garrysmod\cfg” folder. Open “autoexec.cfg” with notepad.

Enter the following line:
[lua]
sv_defaultgamemode DarkRP
[/lua]

This will default the server to launch with DarkRP mode enabled. Now open your “server.cfg” file with notepad. Enter the following:
[lua]
hostname “XXXXXXXXXX”
sv_defaultgamemode “DarkRP”
rcon_password “XXXXXXXXXX”
sbox_noclip “0”
sbox_godmode “0”
sbox_plpldamage “0”
rp_toolgun “1”
sbox_maxprops “1000”
sbox_maxragdolls “0”
sbox_maxeffects “0”
sbox_maxdynamite “0”
sbox_maxlamps “0”
sbox_maxthrusters “0”
sbox_maxwheels “4”
sbox_maxhoverballs “0”
sbox_maxvehicles “0”
sbox_maxbuttons “20”
sbox_maxemitters “0”
sbox_maxspawners “0”
sbox_maxturrets “0”
[/lua]

Change the “XXXXXXXXXX” values to something of your choosing. They represent the server name and console password, respectively. You can change the “sbox” values according to your liking.

7: Creating a Shortcut
Almost done, now we need to create the shortcut to launch the server. Right-Click on your desktop, “New > Shortcut”. Name it anything you want, for example “DarkRP Server”. Right-click go to Properties. In the target textbox type:

Replace the X’s with your desired mapname and slot count, respectively. I’ll assume you know how to put a map in the maps folder. For the map name do NOT include the file extension (.bsp).

8: Allow others to join

Click this link:

Find your router model and follow the instructions there. You will need to find out what your local IP address is. To do this open up the CMD window again and type “ipconfig”.

9: Your done!

Your done the basics of setting up a DarkRP server! Add on other addons as you see fit. Here are the other ones I use:

WireMod - SVN Version
PHX - SVN Version
Conna’s Tools Pack
DoorSTool
Keypad
PCMOD - SVN Version
WeightSTool
NewAdmin - SVN Version

Thank you for the guide, but I’m having a small problem. Every time I try to start the server, it just instantly crashes? Is there a certain fix for this? I don’t get any error message, the command window just closes out the second it starts. I’ve ran dedicated servers before, but I still get new problems with them every time.

Whoops… just found my problem. I installed garrysmod first, then counter-strike into the same directory. Counter-strike over-wrote the bin files so where garrysmod was corrupt. Problem solved for anyone else who does the same thing I did.

what are the ports needed for a Gmod Server?

27015, that’s all. The link at the very end tells you that.

That link only shows how to port forward not the ports at least i could not find it. any ways i forwarded 27015 and 27005 but its still not working. is there another port i need to forward or some thing. (my firewall is not on.)

It actually does if you actually look and read everything on the pages. Most likely is that you are using the wrong local IP address. Or your didn’t check an Enable box somewhere.

Can this be stickied?

Well any port can be used you just have to edit it in the batch file and the server.cfg :slight_smile:

Correct, I just tried to make this guide stupid simple.

yeah if anyone would like to know how exactly Ill show you :slight_smile:

-snip-
It went wrong since my

''

werent the same as the one in usa. Lame.

http://darkrp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Simple RP Prop Protection won’t work ! :confused:

Remove the simple RP prop protection from your guide, it’s now merged with DarkRP

the counterstrike in srcds/orangebox doesnt work for me for some reason

heeeeyyyyy i dont have the server.cfg file?!?!?! do i makes it??

I always forward 27005 to 27015 TCP and UDP. It works with no problems

There are more ports than just those.

i have no server.cfg too ???
create one ?

yes

We dont need more darkrp servers and if people wish for one we dont need more dakrp servers that are run off laptops by little kids and also! we dont need more darkrp servers that are dedicated and use there mums credit card

Other than that good guide

:regd08: