Creating a mod

I’m currently working on a project, hopefully becoming a single player modification.

I’ve come across a few tutorials but either their outdated or just poorly written, and the official valve one doesn’t have the information I’m looking for.

• General Information
  • How to go about letting the mod use HL2:ep2 stuff along with CS:S models and textures (the current map uses both)
  1. Unfortunately, there’s not a large amount of information on this topic. The VDC probably has the most. The deserted forums of iwannamap.com has some helpful threads. Interlopers.net might have some information as well.

If the Programming forum can’t help, feel free to ask questions in this thread.

1. Depending on the SteamAppId the game is using, use GCFScape to extract from the other game the content required.

With the use of different content from multiple games, you can use the AdditionalAppId line that was added a few months back for your gameinfo.txt.
Search paths are also very useful if you want to be able to load content just sitting in a game’s folder.

I researched a bit harder and found a few things, and what Hidden said as well. I managed to get it running and what not, but CS:S content still won’t load up. Here’s my gameinfo:

"GameInfo"
{
	game 		"Project"
	title 		"HALF-LIFE'"
	title2		"== episode two =="

type		singleplayer_only

FileSystem
	{
		SteamAppId				420		// EP2
		ToolsAppId				211		// Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.
		AdditionalContentId			240		// cs:S

SearchPaths
		{
			Game				|gameinfo_path|.
			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|ep2
			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|episodic
			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|cs:s
			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|hl2
		}
	}
}

And i really don’t want to take the easy way and rip out the textures and models, seeing it will raise the file size by 400mb or so :v: