Creating working player models from ragdolls

I would quite like to use several of the hl2 models (Such as the citizen Group02 set and headcrabs) for players in the gamemode I’m making, but they all go into a T shape when used. Is there a way someone with 0 modelling experience could easily fix them to work (preferably without creating huge files that need to be sent to the clients), or would I have to learn lots of stuff and create my own custom ragdolls? If so, how?
Thanks.

You need to replace or change the “bone” structure of the model, which is kinda like the human skeleton, but not that complicated. And then you just compile the model with the same bone structure as a regular playermodel, and the you can use it.

So, I’ll need to find out how to decompile models, then extract and decompile the metrocop model from gmod and hl2, find out how to open the decompiled models, find the difference in ‘bone’ structures between the two, extract and decompile the models I want to change, then change the ‘bones’ in the same way and recompile (presumably all using the same application) and then send the resultant model to everyone that connects to my server?

It’s really alot easier than that Carl.
Just get MDLDecompiler to decompile the model you want.
Open up the models’ .qc file with notepad ++.
go to the line that has something with $includemodel"(blablabla)"
Then delete those and put in…

$includemodel “m_anm.mdl”
$includemodel “m_gst.mdl”
$includemodel “m_pst.mdl”
$includemodel “m_shd.mdl”
$includemodel “m_ss.mdl”

Those are the male animations for playermodels.
(if you want female animations, replace the “m” with an “f”)

Then get GUIStudioMDL to compile your model.

Anyway, H4lf-D3ad has already made the group02 and 03m playermodels
http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=64259
And I found this
http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=985

Oh sweet. Thanks a lot.

No problem.
If you need any help or hints just send me a PM.

I know this is an old thread, but im trying to make some custom npcs, and am learning to use mdldecompiler AND guistudio at the same time. I saw that you had said this

It’s really alot easier than that Carl.
Just get MDLDecompiler to decompile the model you want.
Open up the models’ .qc file with notepad ++.
go to the line that has something with $includemodel"(blablabla)"
Then delete those and put in…

$includemodel “m_anm.mdl”
$includemodel “m_gst.mdl”
$includemodel “m_pst.mdl”
$includemodel “m_shd.mdl”
$includemodel “m_ss.mdl”

Those are the male animations for playermodels.
(if you want female animations, replace the “m” with an “f”)

I’m sorry if i’m off topid but what would i have to put in the $includemodel lines to get them to have something like combine or rebel animations?

Just look at the tutorial I have here
It covers custom NPCs too.