Creative Development of Video Games

I have a question for the game development community, which I will ask at the end of this post. But first, let me explain what has always happened to me - Even before I played Rust. |P|

I love games. The ubiquitous ability to teach, to learn from, to communicate with others through competition and play are part of human nature. Games, video or otherwise, have always been a way for me to connect with my peers and thereby society. When I was first introduced to online games, my dreams began to mimic the games I played in how I perceived them. In lucid REM, my dreams have scrolled in ANSI and have reflected my physical actions in WASD QWER. However, I do not daydream of playing the games. Instead, I ponder how to make a game that seems to be exactly what I would want to play. |P|

Combine, refine and innovate. Compare ideas both dissimilar and similar, find that which I have yet to experience and from thoughts create a gaming scenario in which many could play at these ideas with me. |P|

That’s my imaginative process. In moments of reflection -while playing or discussing video games - this process, when it occurs, becomes the entirety of my focus and attention. When I have these ideas, I write them down. I share them. And so it occurred while I played Rust.|P|
As a newcomer to rust, late into the alpha, I was immediately aware of the youthfulness of the players flying past me. Yet I ventured on in my exploration of the world and the game, seeking the meaning of rust. When I finally met friendly people I immediately began to play immersed in rebuilding a world for myself and those who gave me life in the game. After many hours of play, with ample time on my hands in a dark nighttime world of horrors and unknowns, I began to think in chat to myself. Although completely ignored by most, the encouraging “cools” and “i would play that” throughout my diatribe made me realize I had another “occurrence”. A new theory, not solely an improvement on rust (alpha) and rust 2 (experimental), combining many past reflections and ponderances on games. |P|

To have no AI environment, during the peak of the game’s popularity, would be the improbable goal of the game’s development. Each player would play first as human and each player would first play to survive. The humans would gather, harvest and craft. They would build not only structures and tools for their survival, but also relationships of necessity in a brutal world of harsh conditions and demanding needs. The humans would make friends, make enemies, make war. And they would dwindle, and they would die. Yet they always be given the chance to return to life when it was their time - a time merited by their actions after they died. |P|

In this game, after the human player dies, that player would have to spend an allotment of time playing as the undead enemy. And the time would be far longer than their human life unless their duty to slay humans as undead was fulfilled as specified. A new player newly dead would be forced into a role of simple shambling undead; they would have to earn their humanity back by teaming up against those whom they fought with to survive. Those undead players who kill the humans in ways which benefit the undead horde would become more powerful and more deadly in their next undeath. Ghouls and dread shadows would prowl and stalk the humans, either with their small hoards of simple undead, or alone. Daemonic mutations of the already terrifying wildlife would gain consciousness. All these undead, when it was their time to be dead, would compete for the ultimate prize of becoming the prince of darkness - the vampire. And the vampire, once killed, would rise again with a different player controlling it’s powers even as the vampire’s soul returned to live as human. |P|

The meta-game would be Human VS Human vs Undead vs Undead. Each side competing not only with the opposing team, but within itself. |P|
I know this sounds like many other games already made. However, this idea has never been made nor attempted. Removing the AI as the game progresses is the antithesis of the massive online games genre, where player vs environment content is focused on a gradual climax to a complex, non organic, artificial encounter. |P|

Why not a massive, persistent sandbox world where players enjoyed playing a second type of character which while played opposed their own “human” interests? What could be a more complex encounter than changing the “environment” in PVE to Players in PVP? |P|

So, now I ask my question:

Are these ideas worth perusing? Could I, too, have a future in game development? Or, is this no more than any other’s daydream?|P|

You seem to be a great ideas guy|P|

Although the game would fail without a fair player base.

My suggestion would be to make the shambling undead AI at first, until it DOES have a playerbase, and every time a player dies, remove an AI, to a certain point. Do this after every restart as well, so that players have threats, and then gradually players become zombies again.

paradoxproof

September 2014
0 Posts

0 Posts

Great posts. |P| This is an amazing idea. |P| Sell me right to it? |P|

Cuz Garry. IPI

accidentally clicked post on my phone…