Thanks in large part to this thread and literally years of fumbling around in Hammer alone or with partners, I’ve finally more or less mastered the art of converting maps from Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to the Garry’s Mod engine.
I’m still in the process of porting them, which is a very long one considering the number of maps and the different issues that can be encountered on any one of them. So I’m making this thread to easily keep track of what’s been done, what’s being done, what will be done and what may be done.
If you have any questions or remarks or criticism or ideas, feel free, I’m open to all suggestions. Even if you want me to port a map just for you, I’ll try.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/100602422413000806/0A9AE7FFED5A85B5FE2CF3AE6F4E38AF3ECE9E2D/[/t] [t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/100602839652269297/6D0B0723D113AECACF3437AED7F1C78D968DF736/[/t] [t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/100602839659308339/B923B93383BC424367133427A3CAA930B9CC0761/[/t]
[t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/100603056089005069/FEBBAAE62522B9B63F825EEE86A7D121EF6D5F09/[/t] [t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/100603056093893900/62262985E1AC9A2022382EF1F1EB74D62C5D32EB/[/t] [t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/100603562875031434/78FC758A7D691F34DD3A6DA4A3F10A9B66D4B760/[/t]
[t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/99478222108251054/C67ADD68A17EF8DB8B54DEBF4447CAC7ECD29EB5/[/t] [t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/91597306688290714/3456BA112882179167B4E9BD5F344C92D0632815/[/t] [t]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/91597306696986097/6A95170AF52A66FF667321DD6780702C611098D8/
Released so far:
de_aztec (stand-alone version available)
de_bank (also available in extended, stand-alone, TTT-ready version!)
de_dust2 (stand-alone version available)
de_inferno (new) (content available in separate packs)
de_inferno (old) (content available in separate pack)
cs_italy (stand-alone version available)
Militia. I will be merging the old and the new, for a map bigger than ever!
- Variants of the maps released so far aimed at scene making or roleplaying.
Where are the maps in game?
- My map ports all have the suffix “_csgoport” attached to the original map name from CSGO. For instance: de_dust2_csgoport.
Do I need CSGO to play these maps?
- Depends on the map. For my newer releases, I’m trying to make a version that doesn’t require CSGO, either in stand-alone form (bsp + all content in one addon) or in packs (that need to be downloaded on top of the map itself).
I found this glitch in your map!
- My maps are sometimes far from perfect. Cobblestone for instance has many issues. Look if your glitch isn’t already in the “Known Bugs” section of the Workshop description, if not tell me about it. CSGO is on a very different branch of the Source engine, and I’m not sure if every glitch can ever be fixed, but despite me not being a Hammer expert, I’ll do everything to make them perfect. If you want to help with this, I could certainly use you!
Do you also do custom/Workshop maps?
- I can and I want to, but I won’t publish a port of one of those maps without the consent of its original maker.
Will you port all CSGO maps?
- I can’t promise that, unfortunately. So far, the new Nuke has proven impossible to do: it completely obliterates every set limit from the old Hammer. I may however release it in 2 parts, but it’ll take a tremendous amount of effort. Some other maps will not be possible to make either because of limits, but if they can be worked around, I’ll try to make it work.
Say, those look like dynamic shadows in your screenshots…
- They are. I’m using many prop_dynamic props to replicate the effect of shadows from CSGO. It’s very limited, but it does look good most of the time, and its impact on performance is negligible as far as I can tell.